new feature: control over RF switches

Peter

Oct 29, 2012, 11:35:06 AM10/29/12
to openc...@googlegroups.com

Hi,

I forked your project to https://github.com/rodan/openchronos-rfsw and implemented control over intertechno [1] radio switches.
these switches come in a wide variety. they can be inside the walls to complement light dimmers, can be power plug 'proxies' (don't know the proper name sorry), momentary motor controllers, or low voltage 12-24V DC relays to name a few.
I have 2 of those low voltage ones inside APC UPS-es [2] to control the UPS remotely (they are in hard-to-reach places) and a few 'proxies' to properly turn off most of the devices during the night.

now with this great little watch all of them can be nicely controlled. no more 'where did I place that remote' moments.
the target device can be selected (there can be 16 families each with 16 devices).

just thought to say 'hi' and thanks for the work that went into openchronos.
if you want, I can provide you with a patch for addition into your code.

[1] http://www.intertechno.at/
[2] https://picasaweb.google.com/petre.rodan/APCUpsRemoteControl

cheers,
peter

Jeffrey Schwartz

Oct 29, 2012, 12:32:33 PM10/29/12
to openc...@googlegroups.com
Which radio frequency watch did you use for this?
Or does it matter?

peter

Oct 29, 2012, 1:07:09 PM10/29/12
to openc...@googlegroups.com

On Monday, October 29, 2012 6:33:15 PM UTC+2, Jeff Schwartz wrote:
Which radio frequency watch did you use for this?
Or does it matter?

these devices use 128bit commands sent via OOK at 433.92MHz.

Jeffrey Schwartz

Oct 29, 2012, 1:08:15 PM10/29/12
to openc...@googlegroups.com
Hurray! That's the watch I have !

peter

Oct 29, 2012, 1:19:06 PM10/29/12
to openc...@googlegroups.com

Hi Jeff,

On Monday, October 29, 2012 7:08:56 PM UTC+2, Jeff Schwartz wrote:
Hurray! That's the watch I have !

have fun remote-blinking the entire house ;)

cheers,
peter

Jeffrey Schwartz

Oct 29, 2012, 1:25:29 PM10/29/12
to openc...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Oct 29, 2012 at 1:19 PM, peter <petre...@gmail.com> wrote:

> have fun remote-blinking the entire house ;)

I just need a few wall switches - being able to turn off the bedroom
light without getting up would be nice (grin)

Here's a question for those who know more about handling the radio firmware...
I'm a Ham radio operator, and 433Mhz is right in the band I can play in.
Part of me would like to make a 'pager' of sorts - something that
checks for a signal on a certain frequency, and if it's there, sound
the beeper. Sort of a CW or Morse code reciever

Any thoughts on how feasable that would be?

peter

Oct 29, 2012, 1:36:29 PM10/29/12
to openc...@googlegroups.com

On Monday, October 29, 2012 7:26:11 PM UTC+2, Jeff Schwartz wrote:
On Mon, Oct 29, 2012 at 1:19 PM, peter <petre...@gmail.com> wrote:

> have fun remote-blinking the entire house ;)

I just need a few wall switches - being able to turn off the bedroom
light without getting up would be nice (grin).

look out, some of the wall-socket switches are for resistive loads only due to space constraints. they work with incandescent light bulbs, but not with CFLs.
ask before you buy.

cheers,
peter

Simon Jackson

Oct 29, 2012, 6:28:44 PM10/29/12
to openc...@googlegroups.com
I think the problem comes from CRC digital streams being needed to pass and cause an interrupt. Plain detection is not supported as far as I'm aware. (I could be wrong). So if you can get your TX to send the right packet, then the watch should detect it with an interrupt stream, and a simple data compare. Programming the radio on the watch involves many registers and options.

Jeffrey Schwartz

Oct 30, 2012, 9:26:12 AM10/30/12
to openc...@googlegroups.com
I wonder if putting a regular 433mhz radio on the right freq, on FM,
and then recording the transmission and playing it back would work...

peter

Oct 30, 2012, 10:42:39 AM10/30/12
to openc...@googlegroups.com

On Monday, October 29, 2012 5:35:06 PM UTC+2, peter wrote:

Hi,

I forked your project to https://github.com/rodan/openchronos-rfsw and implemented control over intertechno [1] radio switches.

I just discovered how nice openchronos-ng is so I forked again and added my code as a module to it.

bye,
peter

Angelo Arrifano

Oct 31, 2012, 3:18:15 PM10/31/12
to openc...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Oct 29, 2012 at 4:35 PM, Peter <petre...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I forked your project to https://github.com/rodan/openchronos-rfsw and
> implemented control over intertechno [1] radio switches.
> these switches come in a wide variety. they can be inside the walls to
> complement light dimmers, can be power plug 'proxies' (don't know the proper
> name sorry), momentary motor controllers, or low voltage 12-24V DC relays to
> name a few.
> I have 2 of those low voltage ones inside APC UPS-es [2] to control the UPS
> remotely (they are in hard-to-reach places) and a few 'proxies' to properly
> turn off most of the devices during the night.

Hi Peter, this is really cool,

I see your code is forked from openchronos-ng (which is a fork from
openchronos), you could also try to post in the openchronos-ng mailing
list to target a broader audience. Anywaym would you like to meet one
of these days at IRC and talk about your patch? At openchronos-ng we
are currently working to add SWAP [1] support. There were talks about
also supporting simpliciTI and, now with your patch, we could possibly
also support the intertechno protocol. We are not quite sure how to do
this yet but the idea was to keep the core code (RF stack agnostic)
updated in all the wireless stacks. There were ideas on using git
branching or even git submodule...

[1] http://code.google.com/p/panstamp/wiki/SWAP

Regards,
- Angelo