Current code base / using buttons in debug mode

Joachim Breitner

Sep 29, 2013, 12:32:02 PM9/29/13
to openc...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I just got started with my new and shiny Chronos watch (new revision,
with the white boards). With some trial and error I found out that on
Debian, I can use
apt-get install mspdebug gcc-msp430
to get all the tools I need to compile and upload OpenChronos.

I looked around for suitable code bases. I found
https://gitorious.org/openchronos/openchronos
by Aljaž Srebrnič and Angelo Arrifano (?) which looks like the original
poelzi repo with some compile fixes. I could build and upload it and it
runs, but for example the altimeter just shows Err, and the acceleration
shows " , " – any idea why?

I then checked github for forks with recent activity.
https://github.com/Dobfek/OpenChronos looks good, and with some of the
patches from the gitorious repo it compiled and runs, but same problems
with the sensors.

More recent activity is on https://github.com/collia/OpenChrono,
although that seems to be a rather personal branch (most changs are to
config.h or patched that seem to change completely to other code bases).

I could not find any other current branches on GitHub.

Then there is also openchronos-ng, but I do not see activity since March
there. Is this project still alive?

My main goal is to have a Variometer for paragliding. So what code base
is most suitable?

Also, is it normal that I cannot use the buttons of the watch module
while it is attached to the computer via the USB debug board? How do I
test the just-uploaded software then? Currently I have to detach it,
include the battery, and then I can press buttons.

Thanks in advance for your answers,
Joachim

--
Joachim “nomeata” Breitner
ma...@joachim-breitner.dehttp://www.joachim-breitner.de/

Joachim Breitner

Sep 29, 2013, 12:57:11 PM9/29/13
to openc...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Am Sonntag, den 29.09.2013, 18:32 +0200 schrieb Joachim Breitner:
> I could build and upload it and it
> runs, but for example the altimeter just shows Err, and the acceleration
> shows " , " – any idea why?

after more investigation, it seems that the new, white board Chronos
kits have different sensor chips:
3-Axis Accelerometer: Bosch Sensortec BMA250
Pressure Sensor: Bosch Sensortec BMP085

The current “Sports Watch” source code contains code to detect that, and
has a different *_ps.c file for the two chips. Has anyone tried to port
these changes to OpenChronos or OpenChronos-ng?

The problem with using the buttons in the debug board has disappeared,
not sure what has happened there.

Greetings,
signature.asc

Joachim Breitner

Sep 29, 2013, 1:13:46 PM9/29/13
to openc...@googlegroups.com
Hi again,

Am Sonntag, den 29.09.2013, 18:57 +0200 schrieb Joachim Breitner:
> The problem with using the buttons in the debug board has disappeared,
> not sure what has happened there.

has not disappeared: I accidentally left the battery in the board. Then
the buttons work even in the debug board. I guess it makes sense, given
that the buttons make a connection between the pin and the battery
holding tab.

So how do you test your code inside the debug board?
signature.asc