Distances used for VSL

fumi yamaguchi

Dec 14, 2020, 11:06:04 PM12/14/20
to OpenCASA Mailing List
Hi everyone.

I have been trying to analyze salmon sperm with motility module  of the openCASA plugin and it worked successfully.  With salmon sperm, trajectories were circles. To interpret correctly, I would like to confirm the differences of distances used for VSL between openCASA and CASA plugin (Theriogenology 67 (2007) 661-672).

Distances used for VSL
openCASA: straight-line distance between the first and last points of the trajectories
CASA plugin: The maximum distances on the VAP path by the sperm

So, I interpret that VSL of these two plugins are slightly different. Am I correct?

Thank you
Fumi

jyaniz

Dec 15, 2020, 2:36:32 AM12/15/20
to fumi yamaguchi, OpenCASA Mailing List
Dear Fumi,

I'm glad you are successful using the OpenCASA with salmon sperm. The
traditional definition of VSL was applied in the OpenCASA, i.e. the
straight-line distance between the first and last points of the
trajectories. I think that Wilson Leedy and Ingermann (Theriogenology,
2007) modified this traditional VSL algorithm trying to eliminate
inaccurate characterization of highly curved fish sperm paths. If you
think that Wilson Leedy's algorithm is more appropiate in salmon, you
can adapt to the OpenCASA, given its open-source nature.

Best regards,

Jesús Yániz

Jesús Yániz Pérez de Albéniz
Catedrático de Universidad (Full Professor in Animal Science)
Dpto. Producción Animal y CC. de los Alimentos
Escuela Politécnica Superior de Huesca
Universidad de Zaragoza
Ctra. Cuarte s/n, 22071, Huesca
email: jya...@unizar.es