cutsim paper

Anders Wallin

Oct 8, 2011, 5:07:34 AM10/8/11
to opencamlib
Here's a recent paper on cutting-simulation:
http://www.springerlink.com/content/4w308703208740j2/
"Virtual workpiece: workpiece representation for material removal process"

I just quickly scanned through the pictures, and the 3-axis Dexel
model is slightly different from a simple distance-field, but
otherwise the approach is similar(ish) to what I am trying.
They also talk about the need for something better than Marching Cubes
for generating triangles from the stock model.

If you don't have access, but want to read this, drop me an email.

Also found on the interwebs, a piece by Intel on having a threadpool
calculate geometry-updates, and push them to a double-buffer for
rendering. There is win32 code which I will try to read a bit.
http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/multithreading-the-rendering-pipeline-for-3d-model-animation/

Anders