getting started

nick christensen

Apr 14, 2012, 2:30:20 PM4/14/12
to ope...@googlegroups.com
I want to build this BMS right away. Is the PCB for sale anywhere. Where do you suggest ordering the parts from?

Adam Brunette

Apr 16, 2012, 8:48:57 AM4/16/12
to ope...@googlegroups.com
Hello Nick,

Ive only been working with this stuff for a little bit,

But if you check out the files here:  https://github.com/rickygu/openBMS/tree/master/PCB%20Design  you will find the PCB designs for the slaves and the BOM for everything. This is for 1 slave board.

Im not sure where the design for the main board is or if its just something like an Arduino Uno board with LCD shield. Hopefully Ricky will chime in.

I prefer  to order all my parts though digikey.

-Adam

Ricky Gu

Apr 16, 2012, 4:18:09 PM4/16/12
to ope...@googlegroups.com
the main board right now is mostly just an arduino. Although I think Henry is working on a more customized shield for it thats more plug and play, and the electric car club might have a design of some sort too.

Henry Palonen

Apr 17, 2012, 12:18:18 AM4/17/12
to ope...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

Yes, I have drawn an simple Arduino prototype-shield that has 3 60V / 4A SSR's for controlling external equipment with simple screw terminals. It's not tested at all yet - I have received 2 PCB's from BatchPCB and can start to test them soon. My fork is at https://github.com/randomev/openBMS and there are also bash-scripts to prepare everything for sendding to BatchPCB. Future design could have Atmega-ship + Can-shield integrated with this shield, then we would have a one master-board that will have all the necessary equipment for a good BMS master.

With best regards from Finland,

--
Henkka

nick christensen

Oct 19, 2012, 8:48:29 AM10/19/12
to ope...@googlegroups.com
Henkka,
I'm about to begin to make some edits to the layout to make the board more easy to build at home. I'll convert the 0402 parts to larger parts. What was the results of your testing on your branch? Did you build board bms3 or bms3_1?
regards Nick

Carter P

Dec 28, 2012, 10:45:26 PM12/28/12
to ope...@googlegroups.com

Hi,

What software do I need to load this PCB files?

Thanks,
Carter

Ricky Gu

Dec 28, 2012, 11:08:03 PM12/28/12
to ope...@googlegroups.com

Eagle Cadsoft

Carter P.

Dec 29, 2012, 12:36:00 AM12/29/12
to ope...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Ricky.

Sent from my iPad

Carter P

Feb 9, 2013, 6:17:15 AM2/9/13
to ope...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ricky,

Which Arduino board did you use?
Is the Uno good enough for basic display of cell voltages on LCD?

Thanks.
Carter

Ricky Gu

Feb 9, 2013, 6:23:39 AM2/9/13