Is this project / idea still being worked on?

Mike Keefer

Mar 17, 2014, 10:29:28 PM3/17/14
to ope...@googlegroups.com
Hello all,

I am curious if you are still working on developing an OpenBMS based on arduino?  If you are I may be able to help, I have to partially working designs one using an ATTiny45 or 85 per cell combined with an optocoupler pair for serial communications bus with a master Arduino Atmega and one using a dedicated or ASIC from TI - the ti chips are nice because they can be stacked to support 144 cells and each ASIC supports 6 cells (I think, wrote the code quite a while ago).

I have the basic principals down having done these projects which I abandoned due to lack of customer funding (they just stopped paying).  Now legally they own the work product of the old designs but let me say they didn't stretch too far from the reference designs so creating a new OpenBMS is not only possible but quite doable.

To succeed we will need developers and testers, having a PCB guy isn't bad either if anyone has a 3D printer which can do circuit boards, access to equipment to handle making PCBs from Gerber Files or some other CAD format to perform CAM from - heck even someone with better than HomeGrown PCB etching tanks - we will concentrate though on keeping this 2 layer PCBs to ensure even those without access to anything can create their own PCBs at home using photo etching and a simple dremel drill press (my favorite tools for PCB fabrication) - and a mask, dont forget the mask!

Now for developers we will need two types:

1.) Those who can skip the arduino library requirements or write faster code in either straight c++ or by even crunching anything number intensive such as checksums, etc to Assembler code for the various chosen chips.

2.) Those who understand, can write and truly get the concept of both sketches and libraries to write the high level control

Testers we need all types, once there is something to test.

Basicaly all I suppose we need now is interest, hopefully the other members will see my post and chime in.

Needless to say the first part is the requirements, followed by the design before one bit of hardware is layed  out and before one line of real code is written (pcode is fine for examples).

If your interested chime in - I have all the tools, development kits (including offerings of ASICs from TI and LTC), arduino mega, uno, megas, eeproms, etc...  I also have more than ample lipo of very high capacity for testing purposes and have created a simple voltage potential network to simulate a properly functioning 6S pack - I added the ability to alter the voltage of each potential output higher or lower to trigger the hardware interrupts and raise serial events to the controller so it can act.

Can't wait to hear from you!

-Mike

Ricky Gu

Mar 17, 2014, 10:40:49 PM3/17/14
to ope...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mike,

I've been busy and haven't been able to allocate time to further develop openBMS. The LTC6802 is a surface mount chip and many of the components selected for the daughter boards are surface mount to save space. I think its possible for the main controller to be home made but it won't help users much if all the daughter boards needs to be professionally made.

From what I recall, the arduino code isn't very slow and speed isn't a critical component to this system.

The project currently doesn't have a PCB design for the controller. we hacked together an arduino connected to a handmade breadboard pcb. I think a controller that is plug and play would be a good add on to this project.

nick christensen

Mar 18, 2014, 10:47:13 AM3/18/14
to ope...@googlegroups.com
I'm not daring enough to try to make a PCB at home. I think it's hard enough just to populate a board at home. For that purpose I forked the OpenBMS project on github and purchased a copy of eagleCAD to edit the layout to use minimum 0603 components instead of the 0402. Here's a link to my fork https://github.com/chrishonson/openBMS
I never made a pull request because I never got around to building and testing the new layout. I did however order the new boards and they looked fine. You can pick up where I left off if you wish by simply ordering the boards here: http://oshpark.com/shared_projects/0yyc5LMG

My intention about a year ago was to build the example at home and write a blog post about the process. I ended up losing my job, moving, buying a house, having a baby, you know, life.
Now that life is stabilized, I might be convinced to put some time into this project. I'm an embedded software engineer by trade, so the software aspect is really my strong suit.
-nick

Neerav Parasher

Mar 3, 2015, 11:21:31 PM3/3/15
to ope...@googlegroups.com
hello
i am working on LTC6804 from last few month , i was trying to port linux application connected LTC6804 with Beagle

Xm but some issues occur. this is the git application source i am using ("https://github.com/martin-c/beagle-bms" ) . also the video is available ("https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ke4MwVpD0xs")

where my beagle xm is connected with LTC6802 ("http://cds.linear.com/docs/en/demo-board-manual/dc1941bf.pdf")

which is connected to LTC6804 DC1942B isoSPI bus ("http://cds.linear.com/docs/en/demo-board-manual/dc1942bf.pdf")

my application gives some junk output on terminal . not as shown is the video also the MISO is not getting any data .