How can I use OpenBLAS library with Microsemi-Microchip Polarfire SOC.

Piyush Varadpande

Dec 8, 2021, 12:40:33 AM12/8/21
to OpenBLAS-users
Hi All,

Microsemi/Microchip has icicle kit which uses Polarfire SOC. It has inbuilt RISC-V processor sub core instead of ARM.

OpenBLAS support RISC-V architecture?

Lets say if I am able to run FreeBSD OS on top of my icicle kit do you think i will be able to use OpenBLAS?

Reghards
Piyush

Piyush Varadpande

Dec 8, 2021, 12:55:11 AM12/8/21
to OpenBLAS-users
I can also use Linux on this SOC.

I found some relevant info on wiki: It shows that it does support RISC-V processor.
Some make files are available over here: https://github.com/xianyi/OpenBLAS

RISC-V
  • C910V: Optimized Level-3 BLAS (real) and Level-1,2 by RISC-V Vector extension 0.7.1.
    make HOSTCC=gcc TARGET=C910V CC=riscv64-unknown-linux-gnu-gcc FC=riscv64-unknown-linux-gnu-gfortran
Quick Installation

Precompiled packages have recently become available for a number of platforms through their normal installation procedures, so for users of desktop devices at least, the instructions below are mostly relevant when you want to try the most recent development snapshot from git.

Linux

Just type make to compile the library.

Notes

  • OpenBLAS doesn't support g77. Please use gfortran or other Fortran compilers. e.g. make FC=gfortran.
  • When building in an emulator (KVM,QEMU etc.) make sure that the combination of CPU features exposed to the virtual environment matches that of an existing CPU to allow detection of the cpu model to succeed. (With qemu, this can be done by passing -cpu host or a supported model name at invocation

Do you think it will work directly on my icicle kit.

Regards
Piyush

martin-frbg

Dec 14, 2021, 12:18:20 PM12/14/21
to OpenBLAS-users
As far as I can tell, the Polarfire SOC does not have vector units. You could try building for TARGET=RISCV64_GENERIC which does not use vector instructions.

Piyush Varadpande

Dec 14, 2021, 11:40:40 PM12/14/21
to martin-frbg, OpenBLAS-users, Zhang Xianyi
Hi Martin,

Thanks for your mail. I take care of Microchip Ecosystem Development and am based in India.

We would like to know the OpenBLAS community interest in Global partnership with Microchip.

If there is a port available from OpenBLAS on our polarFire SOC, we can have a global partnership so that we both get mutual benefit.

Let us know your feedback on the same.
Looking forward to hear from you all.

Thanks & Regards
Piyush Varadpande
Microchip - Product Marketing

martin-frbg

Dec 15, 2021, 6:13:23 AM12/15/21
to OpenBLAS-users
Hi Piyush,

there will certainly be interest in ensuring that OpenBLAS runs on the polarFire. However I cannot promise at this point that significant
performance improvements can be gained over the existing "generic riscv64" port on hardware without simd/vector support.

Piyush Varadpande

Dec 17, 2021, 5:55:52 AM12/17/21
to martin-frbg, OpenBLAS-users
Hi Martin,

Thanks for your response.
Let me know how we should proceed further. We can send the PolarFire Icicle kit to you if you want.
It would be great if you guys can provide the complete porting on our SOC to proceed further for official engagement.

Thanks & Regards
Piyush Varadpande

Piyush Varadpande

Jan 4, 2022, 11:54:57 PM1/4/22
to martin-frbg, Piyu...@microchip.com, Krishna...@microchip.com, OpenBLAS-users
Hi Martin,

Wish you a very happy new year.
Hope you are back to work in this new year.
Could you please let us know on how we can proceed for partnership engagement with OpenBLAS. We are ready to share the Icicle kit.

Looking forward to hear from you soon.

Thanks & Regards
Piyush Varadpande

Zhang Xianyi

Jan 6, 2022, 7:10:13 PM1/6/22
to Piyush Varadpande, martin-frbg, Piyu...@microchip.com, Krishna...@microchip.com, OpenBLAS-users
Hi Piyush,

You could send the board to me. I could test OpenBLAS and RVCL ( RISC-V Computing Library) on PolarFire.

Best Regards,
Xianyi

Piyush Varadpande <piyush.v...@gmail.com> 于2022年1月5日周三 12:55写道:
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "OpenBLAS-users" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/openblas-users/CAKp1yMFPNrxXjFH9Qkxak%3DD-K7%2Bm__DRUpC9hoJ2uJgg%2BS6HMg%40mail.gmail.com.

martin-frbg

Jan 7, 2022, 1:26:26 AM1/7/22
to OpenBLAS-users
Hi Piyush,

sorry for the late reply, and a happy new year to you too.
If Xianyi wants to take it that is fine with me - he runs a business developing similar boards, while I have no prior experience with RISCV.
Regards,
Martin