Start of Coding Phase

1 view

Bhavesh Sanghvi

May 26, 2008, 10:58:29 AM5/26/08
to OpenBiomind

I am thinking to create a new Eclipse project (currently dependent on the OpenBiomind codebase, later on OpenBiomind jar or source as required). Please let me know of other things that you will like me to take care of with this.

--

Best,

Bhavesh, who started coding now

Lúcio de Souza Coelho

May 26, 2008, 1:19:10 PM5/26/08
to openb...@googlegroups.com
Hi Bhavesh,

We and Murilo agree that indeed a separate Eclipse code, interacting
minimally with the standard OpenBiomind code (possibly only through
the jar) seems a better option. By the way, we are also thinking that
you should host that project at http://code.google.com/ , in the same
way that the OpenBiomind project is. That way you would already have
interesting features such as SVN-based version control, Wiki-based
documentation, easy access to everyone interested, and so on; also, it
may make it easier to interlink your GUI and OpenBiomind as related
projects.

Murilo Saraiva de Queiroz

May 26, 2008, 1:26:11 PM5/26/08
to openb...@googlegroups.com
So, please create a new project named openbiomind-gui. At the beginning you can open both projects in Eclipse, and add openbiomind to openbiomind-gui as a required project (so you don't need to worry about the jar files right now).

Start with a simple RCP application (perhaps the one from the tutorial I sent before); try to run openbiomind from this application (perhaps creating a dummy menu entry) and display the text output (as sent to the command-line) in a simple editor, just to make sure that everything builds / run correctly.

When you have this running and committed to the repository, send us an email so we can download and test it here.

Thanks!

muriloq
--
Murilo Saraiva de Queiroz, MSc.
Senior Software Engineer

Bhavesh Sanghvi

May 26, 2008, 1:26:11 PM5/26/08
to openb...@googlegroups.com
Hi Lúcio,

Must I create a separate project at http://code.google.com/ or will we put
it inside http://code.google.com/p/openbiomind/ ? Actually, I did not
understood the interlink ("it

may make it easier to interlink your GUI and OpenBiomind as related

projects") thing properly.
Both will be fine for me. If you are fine with the first option, then I can
create a project by the name gui4openbiomind or similar.

--
Best,
Bhavesh

Murilo Saraiva de Queiroz

May 26, 2008, 1:28:29 PM5/26/08
to openb...@googlegroups.com
A separate project in code.google.com is better, so people interested only in the command-line version don't need do deal with a more complex (and optional) piece of code.

I think you could call it  openbiomind-gui.

Bhavesh Sanghvi

May 26, 2008, 1:36:34 PM5/26/08
to openb...@googlegroups.com

Got your e-mail little late. I will create the project by the name openbiomind-gui.

Will do the other things as stated.

--

Best,

Bhavesh

May 26, 2008, 2:08:38 PM5/26/08
to openb...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, May 26, 2008 at 2:26 PM, Bhavesh Sanghvi
<bsan...@cs.iastate.edu> wrote:
(...)

> Must I create a separate project at http://code.google.com/ or will we put
> it inside http://code.google.com/p/openbiomind/ ? Actually, I did not
> understood the interlink ("it
> may make it easier to interlink your GUI and OpenBiomind as related
> projects") thing properly.
(...)

I meant "interlinking" just in terms of links and pointers between the
projects, specially in the documentation. For instance the OpenBiomind
project would mention the GUI project and have links pointing to it,
so that people interested in GUI would follow them; conversely, the
documentation of your project would have hypertext links to
OpenBiomind commands when convenient; and so on.

Bhavesh Sanghvi

May 26, 2008, 3:26:35 PM5/26/08
to openb...@googlegroups.com, ope...@googlegroups.com, openc...@googlegroups.com
I have created a project for Java GUI for OpenBiomind at
http://code.google.com/p/openbiomind-gui/.
I have also added some members. Please let me know if someone else wants to
be a member (I will need to know your Google account id).
Looking forward to suggestions, ideas, etc.

--
Best,
Bhavesh, working on the base

Yeah, Google Code is a good place for the OpenBiomind GUI, since OpenBiomind lives there already. Launchpad would be a good place to host the OpenCog port/fork of OpenBiomind when that happens.

-dave

On Fri, May 30, 2008 at 9:08 AM, Cassio Pennachin <cas...@vettalabs.com> wrote:
OpenBiomind has nothing in common with the rest of OpenCog, really, and it's not listed as an OpenCog project.  I think this is correct, given how different OpenBiomind is from everything else.

On May 29, 2008, at 7:32 PM, Linas Vepstas wrote:

2008/5/26 Bhavesh Sanghvi <bsan...@cs.iastate.edu>:

I have created a project for Java GUI for OpenBiomind at
http://code.google.com/p/openbiomind-gui/.
I have also added some members. Please let me know if someone else wants to
be a member (I will need to know your Google account id).
Looking forward to suggestions, ideas, etc.

Most of the rest of the opencog code is on
https://launchpad.net/opencog

including the source repositories, I think it makes more
sense to create a new project there. Talk to Dave hart
to coordinate.

--linas

--
Cassio Pennachin