Cannot Access Bootloader

Stephen Donchez

Oct 3, 2014, 3:05:15 PM10/3/14
to ope...@googlegroups.com, s.butt...@lvacademy.org, KaSeng Lim, Philip Domic
Hello all,
Thank you to whoever created this forum. it has been very difficult to obtain information regarding the 3dtouch since cubify took over.
My school has a 3dtouch running (or that ran) the latest firmware. The reed switches began glitching during the spring, and replacing them did not seem to resolve the problem. the teacher in charge of the printer attempted to update the device, however he was unable to reload the same version of the software, as the updater asked for a newer version. I believe he then attempted to utilize the "erase device" function of the firmware updater. following this operation, the printer would not boot at all, not even to the bootloader. The red LED on the control panel illuminates, however the LCD does not light up. has anyone had this problem or know any way to resolve it? I was considering trying to use the rs232 (ttl) pins to reload the bootloader, however i have no experience in microchip programming beyond rudimentary arduino projects. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
Steve

Unfold

Oct 4, 2014, 2:30:23 PM10/4/14
to ope...@googlegroups.com, s.butt...@lvacademy.org, giants4...@gmail.com, philip...@yahoo.com
You're welcome!

In regards to your question. I've not heard of this issue before.
Since your colleague erased the firmware it seems logical that it wont show anything on screen. Did you try updating to the latest firmware? Have you checked http://3dpedia.3dsystems.com/display/BFBCustTechRes/Download+firmware?os_username=bfbcustomer&os_password=3dprinting or http://cubify.com/en/Products/LegacyDownloads for the latest or any other version of firmware you want?
What glitches did you experience with the reed switches?

Stephen Donchez

Oct 6, 2014, 9:32:17 AM10/6/14
to ope...@googlegroups.com
Hello Unfold,
I am unable to try the latest firmware, as the lack of a bootloader makes it impossible for me to communicate with the printer to upload it. The reed switches were failing, starting with the Y switch. That switch was replaced, annd shortly thereafter the X switch failed. The printer would run againist the side of the frame and continue running, requiring us to unplug the device to stop it. It would do the same thing on the Y axis, running into the bed.

Alfred Valk

Nov 23, 2014, 7:12:11 PM11/23/14
to ope...@googlegroups.com, s.butt...@lvacademy.org, giants4...@gmail.com, philip...@yahoo.com
Hi Stephen,
if i am correct you can use a PIC toolkit to write the firmware back to the chip.
You will then connect without the usb port.
If you have the the complete firmware for the board.