Firmware/Repetier Calibration for Opened BFB

Dylan van den Bosch

Oct 22, 2013, 8:36:56 AM10/22/13
to ope...@googlegroups.com
Greetings. I am in the process of swapping the standard BFB Controller for a Sanguinololu one. That way I can keep up with the Reprap developments and not be stuck with a closed and stalled system.

Has anyone got clear info to plug into the new system for calibration. eg mm/s for each axis and such-like?

Unfold

Nov 1, 2013, 1:34:07 PM11/1/13
to ope...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dylan,

I replaced the controller of our bfb3000 with a RAMPS type controller from Ultimaker. It runs Marlin so not Repetier but I think you can use some of my settings as starting point. I must admit that it was an intern here at the studio that did the conversion so I don't know the details.
In regards to steps/mm this is what I found:

#define DEFAULT_AXIS_STEPS_PER_UNIT   {87.6195,87.4891,200*8/3,1000}

X:87.6195

Y:87.4891

Z: not sure

Hope this is of any help.

The biggest problem we had that we could not solve in firmware was that we got too much noise on the Z-stop reeds switches from the steppers. It looks like the BFB board filters that out in electronics while the Ultimaker board does not... The solution was to run the reed switch cables separately from the stepper cables.

Might be good to document all the relevant settings here for anyone looking to replace his/her controller. If needed I can upload my whole Marlin but the problem is that it is a setup for our ceramic extruding machines so maybe not solo useful.

Dylan van den Bosch

Nov 4, 2013, 3:34:27 AM11/4/13
to ope...@googlegroups.com
Ok, while we're on this: Am I correct in assuming that the thermisor hidden in the BFB Extuder is a ATC Semitec 104GT-2
I'm thinking so, because I did get a 160 Kohm reading at about 30 deg C.

Unfold

Nov 4, 2013, 2:40:55 PM11/4/13
to ope...@googlegroups.com
One of those very few bits of relevant information you can actually still find through the official 3D Systems support website http://cubify.com/legacy/3dtouch/downloads.aspx:

Oh, wait, actually it's not helpful at all because it's nowhere specified which one from the range in this datasheet is actually used :)

Should be the 204-GT.