List of Members' Email Addresses

Henare Degan

Oct 27, 2010, 2:05:56 AM10/27/10
to openaustralia-dev
Hi all,

Someone contacted us recently asking for a list of politician's email addresses. We don't store it in OpenAustralia but I seem to remember this discussion coming up before - does anyone know of an available source that's out there?

Cheers,

Henare

Jeffery Candiloro

Oct 27, 2010, 2:12:02 AM10/27/10
to openaust...@googlegroups.com
It's not pretty but - http://aph.gov.au/house/members/memlist.pdf

I'm sure there's an equivalent for the Senate.

Jeffery

Henare Degan

Oct 27, 2010, 2:29:43 AM10/27/10
to openaustralia-dev
Thanks Jeffrey - nice find.

The Senate is kind enough to provide [snail] mail labels[0] - but no email addresses #fail

Cheers,

Henare

[0] http://www.aph.gov.au/senate/senators/contacts/labels_csv_files.htm
--
Henare Degan

e » henare...@gmail.com
t » @henaredegan
w » www.henaredegan.com

Kat Szuminska

Oct 27, 2010, 3:02:07 AM10/27/10
to openaust...@googlegroups.com
The email addresses that are given on their individual homepages at aph.gov.au do appear to follow a standard format of senator.<surname>.aph.gov.au
with the exception of Senators Bob Brown and Carol Brown who are senator....@aph.gov.au and senator.ca...@aph.gov.au respectively.

A surprising number of Senators 'prefer to use the online contact form' than list their email addresses, as follows:
Mark Abib Chris Back, Cori Bernardi, Catryna Bilyk, Simon Birmingham, Sue Boyce, David Bushby, Doug Cameron, Michaelia Cash, Mathias Cormann, Trish Crossin,  Christopher Evans, Don Farrell, David Feeney, Mitch Fifield, Mary Jo Fisher, Michael Forshaw, Mark Furner, Sarah Hanson-Young, Bill Heffernan, David Johnston, Helen Kroger, Joe Ludwig, Ian Macdonald,Marise Payne, Louise Pratt,  Michael Ronaldson, Scott Ryan,
Julian McGauran,  Nick Minchin, Claire Moore,  Fiona Nash,  Stephen Parry, John Williams,  Penny Wong

This is not to say that they don't have email addresses that conform to the same format as those given.

Craig Thomler

Oct 27, 2010, 4:27:02 PM10/27/10
to OpenAustralia Community
There are CSVs in the site listing the members. In fact they have
versions in multiple sort orders (just in case you don't have an
application which allows sorting I suppose....)

Reps: http://www.aph.gov.au/house/members/index.htm#contact (Download
Member Information section)
Senators: http://www.aph.gov.au/Senate/senators/contacts/labels_csv_files.htm

I plugged them quickly into Google Docs and added an email column by
formula. The Senators needed a bit of manual manipulation as the CSV
isn't formatted in a standard way to display multiple Ministerial
titles.

I set the formula up to handle the Senatorial exceptions - noting that
this meant using 'Preferred name' rather than first name. Could create
issues if there's an exception to this exception. If the list is
resorted this formula will fail - would need a more complex lookup to
prevent this. Would also have to understand the rule (if any) when
names are precisely the same (a very rare event).

Both spreadsheets are publicly viewable but not editable. I can open
them up for editing if needed.

APHSen2010: https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0Ap1exl80wB8OdDVrYlpsVDl5V29ndE1MUElBYkcxRXc&hl=en&authkey=CLr50M8N
APHReps2010: https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0Ap1exl80wB8OdEZFRWl3dzIyM3h6NlZKYWRVMzBXMEE&hl=en

Cheers,

Craig

Craig Thomler

Oct 27, 2010, 4:31:18 PM10/27/10
to OpenAustralia Community
Ah - bugger - some MPs use different name formats - such as:

A.Alba...@aph.gov.au
Julie.B...@aph.gov.au

So my spreadsheet may not work 100% of the time. May need manual
editing - but only once over the life of a parliament!

I assume online form users still have email addresses....in the same
format.

Henare Degan

Aug 4, 2014, 10:10:48 PM8/4/14
to openaustralia-dev
Hi all,

Well here we are almost 4 years later and this problem is still no closer to being solved in Australia - if only we had something like WriteToThem.com!

We have scraped the official list from APH but surely there's people out there that have a more complete picture of MP email addresses? (There are more Twitter accounts published on aph.gov.au than email addresses!).

I'm asking because we've once again been emailed by someone looking for this data - we get the same question every few months.

Cheers,

Henare

Henare Degan

Aug 6, 2014, 5:49:34 AM8/6/14
to openaustralia-dev
I've just been pointed by @neutralthoughts to this awesome repo by @davekinkead: https://github.com/experimentsindemocracy/barton

It doesn't have all the details now but looks like a great place to start collectively sharing this data.

Cheers,

Henare