Right to Know Deadline reminders?

Daniel O'Connor

Aug 1, 2014, 6:09:48 AM8/1/14
to openaust...@googlegroups.com

Saw recently a reply where a submitter had missed a window for requesting internal review by a narrow margin after the dept in question had used the full range of delays open to them.
This struck me as against the default assumption of openness,  and a little asymmetrical: a foi officer has a paid position to deal with requests;  while the public may have other obligations like full time employment.

To level that playing field a little; would an ical feed of deadlines be useful, aimed at requestors?
"Remind me in N days to followup X"?
"Window for action Y is N days away "?

Ben

Aug 1, 2014, 6:41:41 AM8/1/14
to openaust...@googlegroups.com
I like the idea, however I'm not sure how we would build that into RTK. I think we already email people who's requests are set to "Clarification Required" so maybe we can change the frequency there?

--
Ben Fairless
Volunteer Administrator - Right to Know

Luke Bacon

Aug 1, 2014, 7:48:49 PM8/1/14
to openaust...@googlegroups.com
This could potentially be achieve by providing a list of key dates/deadlines for a request marked up with h-event http://microformats.org/wiki/h-event .

Unless the app knows what the response has been though, it may be hard to provide relevant dates. Not sure.

Henare Degan

Aug 3, 2014, 9:08:06 PM8/3/14
to openaustralia-dev
Requesters are sent a number of different types of reminders by email. For example, they're emailed that they've got a response immediately, and reminded after 3 days, 10 days, and again 24 days later if they haven't done anything: https://github.com/mysociety/alaveteli/blob/rails-3-develop/app/mailers/request_mailer.rb#L338-L344

However I like the sentiment behind what you're saying. How about building something with the API to allow volunteers to see which requests are coming up to a deadline so that they can add annotations to help requesters that might otherwise be stuck?

Cheers,

Henare
--
Henare Degan
Volunteer & Director - OpenAustralia Foundation

e » hen...@oaf.org.au
w » www.openaustraliafoundation.org.au
t » @OpenAustralia