Australian addresses database?

Nick Evershed

Feb 20, 2014, 7:30:11 PM2/20/14
to A List for Open Knowledge Networks in Australia., openaust...@googlegroups.com
Anyone know of any freely accessible databases of Australian street addresses?

I need to be able to get a random sample of addresses within a postcode/LGA/suburb for a project.

First thought was that it might be accessible from Open Street Map somehow?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Peter Serwylo

Feb 20, 2014, 8:37:04 PM2/20/14
to openaust...@googlegroups.com, A List for Open Knowledge Networks in Australia.
Hi Nick,

I don't have a complete answer for you, but...

First thought was that it might be accessible from Open Street Map somehow?

It would be accessible, if the data was there. However recently I've been doing some surveying and adding addresses, purely because there is very few addresses for most of Victoria, so far as I can tell.

After a bit of surveying, I thought there would be a better way, so I stumbled across (for Victoria) the Vicmap address database (CC-BY licensed): http://www.data.vic.gov.au/raw_data/address-points-vicmap-address/5222. I'm not sure what the rest of the country is like, but if you need a random sample, perhaps a random sample from one state would be enough.

To be honest, I'm not sure if it has post codes or suburbs attached (just requested the dataset now, waiting for the email with download link). If not, perhaps you could dig up a shapefile with the postcode boundaries, and do an intersect of each address and the postcodes.

Cheers,
pete.

Nick Evershed

Feb 20, 2014, 8:40:33 PM2/20/14
to openaust...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Peter, that's a great start

Daniel Hoolihan

Feb 21, 2014, 8:08:01 PM2/21/14
to openaust...@googlegroups.com

I haven't downloaded it since i'm on limited data at the moment..  but here is QLD.. https://data.qld.gov.au/dataset/property-address-queensland-lite--data-package/resource/c8768d6d-e73e-4a59-9075-c844643ea02b#

Be careful with postcodes though.. officially the postcode has nothing to do with your address, it is a piece of administrivia handled by AustPost purely to manage their delivery process.. even the ABS datasets call them Postal Areas to differentiate them.. and the spatial boundaries for postcodes are not contiguous.. especially in regional queensland..

Good luck!

Daniel

Jian Han

Feb 25, 2014, 8:34:53 PM2/25/14
to openaust...@googlegroups.com
Hi nick,
Australia post has a official one , you can download it
Nick Evershed <nick.e...@gmail.com>于2014年2月21日星期五写道:

Adric Landman

Nov 26, 2015, 7:12:25 PM11/26/15
to OpenAustralia Community, okf...@lists.okfn.org