A couple of question re the rig setup

Thomas H.

Aug 1, 2019, 10:54:44 AM8/1/19
to OpenAPS Dev
Hello Community,
My name is Thomas. I'm from Germany and working with a friend on setting up a rig for his 16 year old daughter.
We have a Pi with the Explorer Hat and ran through the set up process, as per the documentation., with no major issues. :-)
Just a couple of questions left:

- If I recall correctly we had an issue with entering the info about the CGM system in the oref0 configuration part.
We're using a G6 and having entered this created an error message.
What did I miss please?
To be honest, I'm not quite clear why this is of importance to the rig at all. As per my understanding, the Dexcom uploads the data to the Dexcome cloud, vi the data service of the cell phone.
Nightscouts gets the BG readings from there and the rig communicates with Nightscout. So I don't see where the connection between the Dexcom and the rig is.

- Second open point is looping when being away from home.
The documentation talks about a hotspot of the phone, but I don't understand  what for.
My current understanding is that the CGM communicates with the cell phone which loads the data into the Dexcom cloud, from where Nightscout pulls them.
The rig communicates with teh cell phone via Bluetooth and the data are downloaded from Nightscout to the cell vial the data connection of the cell phone service provider.
So no need for activation of the Wlan hotspot of the cell phone.
Correct?

Thanks in advance for answering and for the great work being done.

Thomas

Scott Leibrand

Aug 6, 2019, 1:48:04 PM8/6/19
to OpenAPS Dev
On Thu, Aug 1, 2019 at 7:54 AM Thomas H. <thha...@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

If you only want to loop online, via NS, you can choose another CGM type (G5 or whatever) for offline, and it'll fall back to online looping. If you do want to be able to loop offline with your G6, you can do that with the xdrip-js option using Logger.

- Second open point is looping when being away from home.
The documentation talks about a hotspot of the phone, but I don't understand  what for.
My current understanding is that the CGM communicates with the cell phone which loads the data into the Dexcom cloud, from where Nightscout pulls them.
The rig communicates with teh cell phone via Bluetooth and the data are downloaded from Nightscout to the cell vial the data connection of the cell phone service provider.
So no need for activation of the Wlan hotspot of the cell phone.
Correct?

You can connect either via wifi hotspot or Bluetooth tethering, and don't need both, correct.

-Scott

Thanks in advance for answering and for the great work being done.

Thomas

Thomas Hartmann

Aug 7, 2019, 4:36:53 AM8/7/19
to opena...@googlegroups.com