Intro and question about using OpenAPS without a pump

Bernard Farrell

Jun 12, 2019, 10:56:15 AM6/12/19
to OpenAPS Dev
Hey there

I've had T1 for almost 47 years and I'm REALLY excited about all the looping solutions in progress. I'm using a Tandem t:slim x2 and a Dexcom G6.

I've been happily using Basal-IQ since its release and I'm eagerly anticipating the Control-IQ upgrade for the Tandem. But I'm impatient...

Reading Dana's excellent intro to her Automated Insulin Delivery book I just realized I could benefit a lot from OpenAPS if I could manually enter recommended basal changes from OpenAPS. Has anyone done this? Hook Dexcom into a rig and then take 'readings' from the rig to control the pump by hand?

I had a quick scan of the documentation for OpenAPS, but nothing jumped out at me, apologies for my laziness.

Scott Leibrand

Jun 12, 2019, 11:00:10 AM6/12/19
to Bernard Farrell, OpenAPS Dev
Yes, you can do that, and lots of people do. The easiest way to do that sort of open looping is with AndroidAPS’ virtual pump. AndroidAPS runs the OpenAPS algorithm on an Android phone, and can give you notifications any time you need to adjust insulin dosing.

Scott

> On Jun 12, 2019, at 6:43 AM, Bernard Farrell <bernard...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> ------=_Part_1243_1511304695.1560347025873
> --
>
> ------=_Part_1243_1511304695.1560347025873

> years and I&#39;m REALLY excited about all the looping solutions in progre=
> div>I&#39;ve been happily using Basal-IQ since its release and I&#39;m eage=
> rly anticipating the Control-IQ upgrade for the Tandem. But I&#39;m impatie=
> tomated Insulin Delivery book I just realized I could benefit a lot from Op=
> enAPS if I could manually enter recommended basal changes from OpenAPS. Has=
> anyone done this? Hook Dexcom into a rig and then take &#39;readings&#39; =
> quick scan of the documentation for OpenAPS, but nothing jumped out at me, =
> apologies for my laziness.</div></div>

> -- <br />
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups &=
> quot;OpenAPS Dev&quot; group.<br />
> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an e=
> mail to <a href=3D"mailto:openaps-dev...@googlegroups.com">openaps=
> -dev+uns...@googlegroups.com</a>.<br />
> oups.com">opena...@googlegroups.com</a>.<br />
> Visit this group at <a href=3D"https://groups.google.com/group/openaps-dev"=
>> https://groups.google.com/group/openaps-dev</a>.<br />
> To view this discussion on the web visit <a href=3D"https://groups.google.c=
> om/d/msgid/openaps-dev/3abe12af-04af-456d-9301-14f115bdcf5e%40googlegroups.=
> com?utm_medium=3Demail&utm_source=3Dfooter">https://groups.google.com/d/msg=
> id/openaps-dev/3abe12af-04af-456d-9301-14f115bdcf5e%40googlegroups.com</a>.=
> s://groups.google.com/d/optout</a>.<br />
>
> ------=_Part_1243_1511304695.1560347025873--

Bernard Farrell

Jun 12, 2019, 11:23:00 AM6/12/19
to OpenAPS Dev
Thanks Scott for the quick response. I'm an iPhone user, but I'm sure there's something available on that platform also.

So time to dig into Dana's book and the OpenAPS documentation. (Rubbing hands with glee)

On Wednesday, June 12, 2019 at 11:00:10 AM UTC-4, Scott Leibrand wrote:
Yes, you can do that, and lots of people do. The easiest way to do that sort of open looping is with AndroidAPS’ virtual pump. AndroidAPS runs the OpenAPS algorithm on an Android phone, and can give you notifications any time you need to adjust insulin dosing.

Scott

> On Jun 12, 2019, at 6:43 AM, Bernard Farrell <bernard...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> ------=_Part_1243_1511304695.1560347025873

> Reading Dana's excellent intro to her Automated Insulin Delivery book I
> just realized I could benefit a lot from OpenAPS if I could manually enter
> recommended basal changes from OpenAPS. Has anyone done this? Hook Dexcom
> into a rig and then take 'readings' from the rig to control the pump by
> hand?
>
> I had a quick scan of the documentation for OpenAPS, but nothing jumped out
> at me, apologies for my laziness.

Scott Leibrand

Jun 12, 2019, 11:24:59 AM6/12/19
to opena...@googlegroups.com
It’s probably worth getting a cheap Android phone just for this purpose.

Scott