host_venue (deprecated)

Tom Walls

Mar 1, 2023, 8:50:52 AM3/1/23
to OpenAlex users
Hi OAX Team
I am enquiring about the host_venue field that is due to be deprecated
from the api on March 6th, 2023, in favour of primary_location - do you
know if/when this will also be reflected in the s3 snapshot of the data?

The most recent snapshot (February Snapshot) - I was expecting the
primary_location to be populated with the same data as host_venue.
At the moment there seems to be some irregularities, were some docs
have both populated, but others only have the old host_venue populated
and not the primary_location

Can you shed any light on this?
Thanks
Tom

Casey Meyer

Mar 1, 2023, 3:34:20 PM3/1/23
to OpenAlex users
Hi Tom,

For both the API and snapshot, we will do an extra quality check before removing host_venue. If we find any issues, such as host_venue populated but no primary_location data, we will leave host_venue in place for another month. Can you send us a couple examples where you found irregularities? That would be helpful for troubleshooting.

Thanks,
Casey

Tom Walls

Mar 2, 2023, 5:56:14 AM3/2/23
to OpenAlex users
Hi Casey

Thanks for your reply.  Sorry, maybe I should clarify my original post better

I think the main problem we are seeing with the latest snapshot is not that the primary_location property is missing completely, but more so that it seems to be sparsely populated, and the primary_location.source field is never populated?  I have generated a small index of works, 5.8 million docs from the latest snapshot, and I dont see any primary_location.source values populated?

Maybe the openalex api is also returning null for all primary_location.source values?  And is this expected right now?

a couple of queries below that I am using, that you can maybe replicate on your end?

{
"query": {
"bool": {
"must_not": {