Author Suggester endpoint

Tijmen Altena

Aug 1, 2022, 4:28:10 AM8/1/22
to OpenAlex users
Hi Everyone,

We're trying to implement the suggest endpoint for finding authors by their name, but experiencing some difficulty in handling initials.
Let's imagine we're looking for L.L. Foubert (https://openalex.org/A2652189521).

There's no query to the autosuggest endpoint that seems to deliver her name as a result?
e.g. `https://api.openalex.org/autocomplete/authors?q=l.l.foubert`
`https://api.openalex.org/autocomplete/authors?q=l.l.%20foub`

Is there a way to get this academic as a response from the suggester endpoint?

Best,
Tijmen

Casey Meyer

Aug 1, 2022, 10:40:36 AM8/1/22
to Tijmen Altena, OpenAlex users
Hi Tijmen,

I see what you mean! I corrected some code that was causing the period to be removed in your second example. So that second query works to retrieve your results. Can you test it out and see if it resolved other issues like it?

We plan to improve author autocomplete in the future, so that cases like this with two or more periods perform the same way as queries do with one period. That way all three of the examples you mentioned would return the same result. For now though hopefully you can work around this!

Thanks,
Casey

Casey Meyer
Developer - OpenAlex, Unpaywall
OurResearchWe build tools to make scholarly research more open, connected, and reusable—for everyone.

Tijmen Altena

Aug 1, 2022, 10:52:45 AM8/1/22
to Casey Meyer, OpenAlex users

Hi Casey,

That’s fantastic, it now works as expected. Thanks for the super quick fix!

Best,

Tijmen

Casey Meyer

Aug 1, 2022, 10:54:03 AM8/1/22