Filter Authors Feature Request

LJ Eads

Mar 14, 2023, 9:35:04 PM3/14/23
to OpenAlex users
Hello,

I noticed that "last_known_institution.display_name" isn't available via the Authors API. See filter documentation here: https://docs.openalex.org/api-entities/authors/filter-authors

This is what I wish I could do! Could we add  last_known_institution.display_name as an available filter?

https://api.openalex.org/authors?filter=last_known_institution.display_name:Harvard%20University

Thank you,

LJ Eads

Cristian Colliander

Mar 15, 2023, 11:11:01 AM3/15/23
to OpenAlex users

Another thing to consider, as I suspect it would be useful for many, is the ability to filter on institution id (not just the last known). That is, to easily retrieve all authors such that they have stated this institution in at least one publication.

Best,
/Cristian

LJ Eads

Mar 16, 2023, 4:48:32 PM3/16/23
to Cristian Colliander, OpenAlex users
Agree! That would also be amazing!

LJ Eads

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "OpenAlex users" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/openalex-users/CAEJAh03esmuNtvc3HRcz0uyvbuqJRWJ%2BV%2BsFEND5nUYLXo_j%3DA%40mail.gmail.com.

LJ Eads

Mar 16, 2023, 4:48:38 PM3/16/23
to OpenAlex users
Cristian - Great point! That would definitely be of interest to me as well.
To clarify, you likely mean: either the raw_affiliation_string or the institutions display name from the Works. Correct?

LJ Eads

Casey Meyer

Mar 17, 2023, 9:48:40 AM3/17/23
to OpenAlex users
Hi LJ and Cristian,

For your initial question, the current method to do this is to filter by the instituiton ID. So you can search for Harvard to get the ID:

Then filter with that ID to get all of the authors where the last known institution is Harvard University:

The suggestion to include all of an author's known institutions in an author result is great! Then you could filter to get any of those institutions like you mention. We added that to our backlog and will try to fit that in as a new feature.

Thanks,
Casey

Jason Portenoy

Mar 24, 2023, 11:21:12 AM3/24/23
to OpenAlex users
Hi LJ,

We've added an explanation of why we don't let you search by institution display_name in a single step. See the filter documentation at https://docs.openalex.org/api-entities/authors/filter-authors#authors-attribute-filters, and the Search Works section that is linked there.

Thanks!
Jason Portenoy