Why there are no keywords for the papers?

able

Jun 27, 2022, 9:48:22 PM6/27/22
to OpenAlex users
Hi, thank you for providing such a good product.
The keywords really important for tagging an article. Although openalex has concepts, I think keywords are still necessary. Why there  are no keywords in OpenAlex's work?

Casey Meyer

Jul 12, 2022, 4:30:05 PM7/12/22
to OpenAlex users
Hello. Glad you are enjoying OpenAlex! Right now there are no plans to add keywords. As you hinted at, concepts are our version of keywords.

The nice thing about concepts is it provides a constrained vocabulary, so that works are well-connected into fixed groups and not categorized with occasionally obscure words. You can search titles and abstracts in order to focus on more granular terms.

Thanks,
Casey

Alexis-Michel Mugabushaka

Jul 14, 2022, 1:18:11 PM7/14/22
to Casey Meyer, OpenAlex users
Hi ,
on the keywords :

One idea could be to the keywords  from the "General Index" (CCO licence).
I haven't looked into yet but from the documentation it seems that the General Index has a table with  keywords.
It looks like it can be linked to OpenAlex works via DOIs (using the "metadata table").

if there is an interest in the user community , this can also be developed  and maintained as a "community project" .
Happy to help if needed.

Best regards,
Mike
The keywords table
- The _keywords table extracts the meaningful terms in a document.
- YAKE is used to extract document keywords.
- There are 19,740,906,314 rows.
- The files unzip to 95-102 gbytes each, for a total of 1.6 tbytes.
- Sample files are available.

Jason Priem

Jul 14, 2022, 4:22:48 PM7/14/22
to Alexis-Michel Mugabushaka, Casey Meyer, OpenAlex users
Hi Mike,
Funny you should mention that, we're actually in the middle of a project right now to bring the General Index into OpenAlex! Should be there in a few months.

That said: like our concepts, the General Index's keywords are automatically assigned. However, after investigating them, we don't think the quality is as good, so we're going to continue to recommend folks use the concepts for any use cases that require keywords.

Alexis-Michel Mugabushaka

Jul 15, 2022, 1:19:00 AM7/15/22
to Jason Priem, Casey Meyer, OpenAlex users
Hi Jason,
good to know you are looking into General Index.
I think linking to it will be helpful to those planning to use OpenAlex for literature search  (as it mitigates the lack of abstracts in some instances).