Latest (breaking?) changes to API

James Thomas

May 4, 2023, 9:52:58 AM5/4/23
to OpenAlex users
Hi,

Is there a page where we can see a log of changes to the API - and in particular to the structure of entities? If not, I we would find it helpful if there were one.

It would also be helpful if specific notice about possibly breaking changes could be highlighted - maybe here / via email? For example, I probably wasn't paying enough attention to discussion, but the disappearance of host_venue has come as a surprise, and has broken our current deployment of OpenAlex features.

Many thanks, James.

Jason Portenoy

May 4, 2023, 10:23:04 AM5/4/23
to OpenAlex users
Hi James,

Sorry about the breaking changes. To answer your general question, this group would be the best place to hear about changes to the API.

Breaking changes should happen very infrequently. For host_venues specifically: this has been deprecated for several months (see host_venue-deprecated and primary_location for information on how to migrate to the updated schema). We have been meaning to remove it from the schema, but we needed to do some cleanup which hasn't happened until now. We should have given a few days notice where we announced on this group that we were completely removing the object from works. Apologies for that, and we will do better in the future.

Cheers,
Jason Portenoy