ORCID sync?

Euan Adie

Mar 13, 2023, 5:42:19 AM3/13/23
to OpenAlex users
Hi all!

Are OpenAlex records updated automatically if authors claim older publications on ORCID?

(I don't think the CrossRef record gets updated automatically, as it is controlled by the publisher? But wasn't sure if OpenAlex had a feed direct from ORCID or not also)

We love OpenAlex, using it a lot at the moment.

Thanks,

Euan

Ksibi, Nabil

Mar 13, 2023, 6:34:11 AM3/13/23
to Euan Adie, OpenAlex users
Dear Euan,

Thank you for sharing this question, this is Nabil Ksibi, I'm Engagement Lead at ORCID. For now, OpenAlex is using the ORCID public API, which does not offer claiming publications, sync works etc..

However, following the discussions these last weeks, I think Casey is working on authors disambiguation so perhaps an opening to see OpenAlex integrating with the ORCID member API. It would certainly support the disambiguation project and I think it would be a great opportunity to think of a S&L wizard ORCID-OpenAlex to sync metadata between both registries (also OpenAlex Author iD will be asserted as an external identifier to an ORCID record to connect it with its respective OpenAlex author profile).

As per Crossref DOIs, one option would be to use the Crossref/Datacite ORCID auto-update functionality to sync up Crossref publications between Crossref, ORCID and OpenAlex (in case the registered Crossref metadata is embedding ORCID iDs along with DOIs).

We should certainly schedule a quick catch up chat with OpenAlex during the upcoming weeks and look at how ORCID can support OpenAlex and the current disambiguation project.

With all my very best wishes!
Nabil

Nabil Ksibi
Engagement Lead, Global Direct

E-mail: n.k...@orcid.org

Skype: ksibi.aziz

https://orcid.org/0000-0002-3226-7485

https://orcid.figshare.com/

Anselm Enders

May 19, 2023, 9:33:11 AM5/19/23
to OpenAlex users
Hi Nabil and Euan,

is there any update on this? I recently found that for a significant number of authors the ORCID record has significantly more publications listed compared to when I search for publications associated with this ORCID in Open Alex suggesting that OpenAlex assigns works not by the ORCID record but by other algorithms (?) or data sources.
Cheers,
 Anselm

Ksibi, Nabil

Jun 2, 2023, 10:33:09 AM6/2/23
to Anselm Enders, OpenAlex users
Dear Anselm,

Thanks for the follow up and for your question. Just to share that OpenAlex can now benefit of the ORICD member API, so there will certainly be further developments in term of the ORCID-Openalex integration.

I'm sure that it is going to be shared through with the community as soon as we reach a milestone.

Cheers
Nabil

Anselm Enders

Jun 2, 2023, 10:33:13 AM6/2/23
to Ksibi, Nabil, OpenAlex users

Thanks Nabil,

Great to hear that!

Anselm

--

Dr. Anselm Enders, MD

Associate Professor

Associate Director (Honours)

Division of Immunology and Infectious Disease

John Curtin School of Medical Research

The Australian National University

131 Garran Road

Acton, ACT, 2601