Upcoming changes to Concepts in OpenAlex

Jason Portenoy

Dec 19, 2023, 1:55:44 PM12/19/23
to OpenAlex users
Hello OpenAlex Community!

In early 2024, OpenAlex will be rolling out a new topics classification system. While we will keep our existing Concepts as part of the OpenAlex data, our focus will be shifting toward these new topic labels. We are working closely with researchers at CWTS to develop this new classification. We're very excited about it, and we'll be announcing more details about it soon.

This is a warning in advance to anyone working with our current Concept labels. The new system will introduce some breaking changes, so please be on the lookout for updates from us on how to adapt to them.

Have a great end of 2023, and thank you!

-OpenAlex team