An update on author profile curation

Kyle Demes

May 3, 2024, 11:55:50 AMMay 3
to OpenAlex users

Dear OpenAlex Community,

Thank you to everyone who has reached out with curation requests to help improve the accuracy of individual author profiles in OpenAlex! We greatly value these contributions and are committed to continuing to support grass-roots curation of metadata.

The requests submitted so far have helped identify improvements with our author disambiguation system that will benefit many author profiles across our database in a systematic way.

Over the next three months, we will be:

– making improvements to our author disambiguation pipeline that better leverage existing ORCID data

– closing the loop with updated Crossref data (names and ORCIDs)

– building an author profile curation system to automate requests for common author profile errors (e.g., merging profiles; splitting profiles; adding or removing works from a profile)

We believe these enhancements will fix many of the outstanding curation request support tickets and so we are going to pause work on individual tickets so that we can focus on these systematic changes.

If your request is urgent within the next few months, please write “urgent” in the subject of the support ticket and let us know the circumstances. Otherwise, check back again in August when the enhancements will have launched and we hope to have an automated way of handling individual requests live.

Thanks for using OpenAlex and helping us to make it better for everyone!

-kyle

--

Kyle Demes, PhD
Vice President of Research Intelligence