Difference between PNG Tiles from API and map on openAIP website

Thibault Beziers la Fosse

Nov 20, 2023, 3:05:27 PM11/20/23
to OpenAIP - Aviation Data Platform
Hello,
I noticed some differences between the API tile png format and the map from the website :
appliVSWeb.jpg
My Application on the left, and the openAIP map on the website on the right.
On my application, all delimitation are red whereas on your website, there some blue line.
Of course, i like the website style version better...
Do you know Why I have these differences ?
(Of course the map underneath is off the subject)
Thank you ! :)

openaip net

Nov 21, 2023, 8:19:45 AM11/21/23
to OpenAIP - Aviation Data Platform
Hi!

The two styles differ, yes. Reason for this that these are two distinct styles and datasets, one for the pre-rendered PNGs from our TMS and the one for the binary tiles from our MVT server. In your picture, left is a mapnik style, right is mapbox gl style. Both use different data to style the map. If you are able to use the MVT technology, I would recommend that since it is the most flexibel approach when it comes to styling since you it is all done on the client, not the server.

Cheers,

Stephan

Thibault Beziers la Fosse

Nov 21, 2023, 2:45:15 PM11/21/23
to OpenAIP - Aviation Data Platform
Thank you for the response. I tried to work with the .pbf file but I did not succeed to use these. It gaves me this kind of result

Capture.JPG
and I don't know why... I'm in python and I use Folium with VectorGridProtobuf plugin.
If by any chance, you know how to do it, or know a documentation, I would be glad to hear it ! :)
Thank you anyway.

openaip net

Nov 22, 2023, 3:18:23 AM11/22/23
to OpenAIP - Aviation Data Platform
Sorry, I only have experience with mapboxgl library for JS. The styling of the PBFs depends on the library you are using - maybe the library is capable of using mapbox gl styles but this is just a wild guess. Also please note that the data from the MVT is solely intended for viewing purposes and contains geometries that are used to style airspace borders etc and don't actually relate to legal authority's airspace definitions.

Cheers,

Stephan