AIP ENR5-4 obstacles

Clément JEANBART

Jan 15, 2024, 11:25:49 AMJan 15
to OpenAIP - Aviation Data Platform
Hello everyone !

I have a question regarding the future of this Data Platform. I have been noticing that the aerial obstacle falling into the ENR5-4 denomination of AIP are very hard to find even if the idea of AIP is to unify aeronautical data standards. I would like to know if you would tackle this challenge by creating such a database here. It is quite challenging since each country publishes it in various format (even in PDFs). They usually don't publish them in a geospatial friendly format (.shp, .geojson or other). Moreover, they are often outdated... Usually, they represent obstacles of more than 30m height.
Is it something you wish to implement on top of the already obstacles from OSM that you extract ?
Would be happy to exchange on this topic with you,

Clément

openaip net

Jan 24, 2024, 4:04:06 AMJan 24
to OpenAIP - Aviation Data Platform
Hi Clément,

sorry for the late reply - the message somehow get lost in daily business. We are currently extracting obstacles from openstreetmap. Although this approach has it's own challenges and is far from perfect, it serves the purpose in that we have a solid database of at least (my assumption) 60-70% of all obstacles that are defined in the AIP - excluded temporary ones like erected cranes etc. As you already mentioned, the used format and availability of this data differs from country to country and sometimes, the data is completely outdated.

I personally can't see a good way to get this done right with the few resources that we have internally here. At some point, there may be good data available with a standard format and this data can be, for example, automatically imported into openaip but I don't see that becoming true in the not-so-distant future.

If there are any other sources that we can use, please tell me. We are open for new ways to ingest better data into the system.

Cheers,

Stephan

Michael Paus

Jan 24, 2024, 4:39:33 AMJan 24
to OpenAIP - Aviation Data Platform
Hi,
just in order to clarify this question for me. Is this the kind of obstacle data that you are looking for?
German AIP Data (obstacles)
Would any of these formats be usable for an automated import or what would be your preference?
Best regards
Michael

openaip net

Jan 24, 2024, 4:53:23 AMJan 24
to OpenAIP - Aviation Data Platform
Hi Michael,

thanks for your input. Yes, we are aware of the German AIXm files. These can be used for automated imports. We already started an AIXM converter but due to the huge specification of this format, this will takes some time. And as I said, until this format is commonly used and also data publicly exposed, there will be inconsistencies between the country datasets.

Currently we are migrating our frontend which takes away our full resources. When this is finished, we will start working on the converter again. I OSSed the converter. Link to the converter is: https://github.com/openAIP/openaip-aixm-to-geojson/settings

Cheers,

Stephan

Michael Paus

Jan 24, 2024, 5:16:38 AMJan 24
to OpenAIP - Aviation Data Platform
Thanks for the feedback. The given link however just results in a 404. The working one is https://github.com/openAIP/openaip-aixm-to-geojson/ (Just in case someone else stumbles over it.)

Clément JEANBART

Jan 25, 2024, 1:31:14 AMJan 25
to OpenAIP - Aviation Data Platform
Hello all !
Thanks for your answers and interest for this topic.
Yes I am aware that it is a tricky subject and I think it is logical to start with OSM obstacle extraction for a first level. I was doing it myself but struggling to find other databases and this is why I triggered this thread. I will wait to see such data published and I guess that AI obstacle detection will be the key to provide and populate obstacle databases in the near future.
Michael, it is exactly what I am looking for. eTODs are not published in every country as often and structured as in Germany though. And more than that it is not gathered in one place. For my part I convert these Excel files into geojson or shapefiles to use them in different GIS. But the idea would be to extand this database to other countries (where as mentioned there is inconstitencies between countries datasets) and gather it in one place like OpenAIP and unify it with the basic information like height and obstacle type when the information exists. Maybe I am dreaming though...