US Airport Data

Lynn Alley

Jun 4, 2024, 1:07:49 AMJun 4
to OpenAIP - Aviation Data Platform
Hello all,

Even though I am a new poster on this forum, I am (indirectly) a long-time contributor to OpenAIP.  I am the author of a website - https://www.soaringdata.info - that for many years has been the sole source of unlicensed, redistributable airspace information for the US.  The US airspace data on OpenAIP comes from me.

As a new poster, I feel a little awkward raising this topic, but I feel I should point out that the quality of US airport data on OpenAIP leaves much to be desired.

Here are just a few examples from my home area here in Utah:
  • There are numerous entries like LBL Farms and Number 18 -- private fields that have been closed for as many as 12 years, and are now covered by new housing developments.
  • Nephi, UT, which is often the site of US National glider competitions lists the wrong radio frequency.  It was changed five years ago.
  • Viable locations like Thunder Ridge Airpark (UT83) and W E Ranch(01ID)  are missing completely.  Thunder Ridge opened something like seven years ago.
Is there any way for me to help with this issue?

My website publishes redistributable US airport data taken from official FAA sources, updated every 28 days.  For private airports, the FAA data isn't perfect either, since there is no good procedure for forcing the owners to keep it current.  But in most cases, it is still more accurate and current than what is published on OpenAIP.  For public airports, the official FAA data is really good.

Is there a way for me to make a mass contribution of airport data, perhaps in a format such as CUP, and to renew that data in sync with the official sources?

Regards,

Lynn Alley
"2KA"

webmaster

Jun 4, 2024, 1:20:05 AMJun 4
to OpenAIP - Aviation Data Platform
Hi Lynn,

thanks for your feedback. We appreciate your effort a lot! When it comes to data quality, we are depending on "local" contributors that know the area/country well and point out any issues with the dataset - unfortunately, we can only really assess data for areas that we know and the US is so big, that only small parts have it has been revised by locals. If you have a more or less complete dataset that we can use to increase data quality, that would be awesome!
But things like that require a lot of manual work including a lot of scripting to get such a bulk update right. I would suggest to move this conversation to a private email/slack conversation to talk about the possibilities to bulk update openaip with your data. You can contact me via ste...@openaip.net. We also have a slack channel - you can find the link on the website in the footer if you prefer a direct chat tool.

Everybody interested in this topic can ping me too and get involved of course.

Cheers,

Stephan

Lynn Alley

Jun 4, 2024, 10:58:14 AMJun 4