Same project

Erwan JACQ

Feb 27, 2011, 8:32:59 AM2/27/11
to OpenAcoustics
hi,

I'm a french acoustician and i am launching a project for open
aocustics software as you have already done in Japan. I'm a python
coder so I think both projects could exchange manay things.
I already coded a sofware to compare acoustics criterias results of
simulations and antoher to acces to a database of alpha absorption
coefficients. It's mainly practical software not really scientific
ones.

You can see my current project at : http://jesuislibre.net/openacoustics/index.html
(in french)

Hisaharu SUZUKI

Feb 27, 2011, 7:53:50 PM2/27/11
to openac...@googlegroups.com
Hi Erwan,

Thank you for your post.
I am a developper of this projects, Hisaharu SUZUKI.

I read your web site and tried your Iris.
It perfectly works at my PC, it's cool.
( so I want to try the AlphaDoc
but I could not find the download link. )

I have the same opinion, I think we could exchange many things.
For example cross-link, introduced to own country, translation web or apps.

Firstly, could we exchange our links on our each site ?
If you permit, I will add the link to your site in our Survey page.

Thanks,
Suzuki

Erwan JACQ

Mar 3, 2011, 12:53:30 PM3/3/11
to OpenAcoustics
Hi Hisaharu SUZUKI.

The AlphaDoc software is currently in cleaning phase of licence
management code as I first planned release it as closed source
software.
I 'll release it until the beginning of next week. I've also done an
easy installer for Windows. I'm thinking about how let users know
about updates.
Because all the soft is in python, it should be possible to create a
Mac app too if someone wants to. I'm not a Mac user but multiplatform
is pretty cool as it's rare for acoustics tools.

I really want to make useable software for non-coders.

I have looked a little bit to your raytracer code and it sounds
interesting. I may want to go further on this project.

How many are you on this project. Are you tighted to a society
(Evixar) ? I think OpenAcoustics could be a good common forge for
acoustics software coding as it brings shared code/knowledge and less
time to reinvent wheel.

Could we continue this discussion in private using my personal mail
account ( http://jesuislibre.net/openacoustics/contributeurs.html ) ?

Best regards,
Erwan

Takuya OSHIMA

Mar 4, 2011, 4:09:03 AM3/4/11
to openac...@googlegroups.com, erwan...@gmail.com
Hi Erwan,

I am Takuya OSHIMA, the lead of our project. It is so encouraging to
see someone else in the field of architectural acoustics is also
workng on open source software development.

Our project owes a lot (for site hosting), but is not bound, to Evixar
where Hisaharu works for. Currently the project is run as a committee
of a Japanese academic society (the Architectural Institute of Japan),
with funding from there. We have ten members now, among which around
half are developers and the rest are testers. And yes, in the longer
term we hope to make our project an open common place for open source
acoustics software.

We are now mainly focusing on writing wave-based (finite element,
boundary element, ...) and geometrical (raytracing) simulation codes
for simulation primers, with an extensive documentation about how the
techniques are implemented and supposed to be used. Unfortunately we
have the doc only in Japanese now, thus translation to English will be
our next big task.

It would be much appreciated if you continue discussion on this forum
or any other open place until the talk becomes very specific, as our
members and potential users can also watch and participate. How about
starting by exchanging links as Hisaharu poposed?

Best regards,
Takuya

Takuya OSHIMA, Ph.D.
Faculty of Engineering, Niigata University
8050 Ikarashi-Ninocho, Nishi-ku, Niigata, 950-2181, JAPAN

Erwan JACQ

Mar 6, 2011, 9:58:31 PM3/6/11
to Takuya OSHIMA, openac...@googlegroups.com
I've bought a domain and uploaded my second soft, Alphadoc. http://www.freeacoustics.com/logiciels.html#AlphaDoc
it's a database of alpha coefficients of construction materials.
You can download the windows installer here : http://codingteam.net/project/alphadoc/download
or use the python source on Linux.
The code is a bit dirty and most comments are in french because my first plan was not to release it as opensource.

I'm part time employed in an architectural acoustics consulting office and I'm looking for new revenues through services, relationship and coding related to open source acoustics software. i'm quite impressed by the Architectural Institute of Japan. No such entity exists here.
I added a link to your project website on mine.

I tried to open your cookbook, but my PDF reader software doesn't like it and the layout is gone.

Best regards,
Erwan

Erwan JACQ

Mar 8, 2011, 5:51:46 AM3/8/11
to OpenAcoustics
I wrote an english translation of the website to make it easier for
you to understand.
unfortunately, previous urls are broken. So use the main page:
http://www.freeacoustics.com

Hisaharu SUZUKI

Mar 8, 2011, 6:39:22 AM3/8/11
to openac...@googlegroups.com
Hi Erwan,

Thank you for your rapid translation work.
I also added the link of your freeacoustics page to
http://www.openacoustics.org/?page_id=119
( see bottom )

Then, I tried your AlphaDoc. The display of illustrations are so cool!

If you will publish this software as open source, please tell me.
I want support translation. And I also could create installer
with NSIS-unicode (of course Japanese version).

Gettext-based approach and NSIS-unicode should work properly.
I achieved i18n in many projects use python with that combination.

Takuya OSHIMA

Mar 8, 2011, 7:01:19 AM3/8/11
to openac...@googlegroups.com
Erwan, congratulations for the new url, and we are deeply sorry for
taking trouble of changing your project name! I added a note at our
top page as well :)
http://www.openacoustics.org/

We have emphasis on not only creating our own codes but also learning
from other opensource software to see what is good/bad about the
software and to ensure that we are not reinventing the wheel. The link
Hisaharu mentioned summarizes the surveyed codes that turned out to
have capability of acoustic simulations. We'll take a deeper look in
your software and write a review (hopefully in English) as soon as
time permits.

From: Hisaharu SUZUKI <h.su...@evixar.com>
Subject: Re: Same project

Erwan JACQ

Mar 8, 2011, 1:12:08 PM3/8/11
to OpenAcoustics
Thank you for the great links.

Hisaharu,
AlphaDoc is already opensource (AGPLv3) but source is on the mercurial
repository. http://codingteam.net/project/alphadoc/browse
I use the Codingteam forge for development. It has file hosting, wiki,
translation, version control system, forum, and instant messaging.
Moreover, it's developed by french friends and registration is
painless (no need to file a bug, check code...). I think their website
is in english too.
I used Inno Setup for installer creation.
I never used gettext in my source code. I have to check that.

I guess materials aren't the same across the world. Is it true?

I have also published a new version of Iris that calculates acoustics
criterias from a impulse response in Wav ! I did'nt find opensource
code that does that.
The (beta) installer is here : http://codingteam.net/project/iris/download/file/iris+0.61+install.exe
and interface is in english.
A dark point: 32bit float wav seems to not be supported by the scipy
lib I use to open wavfiles. I have to investigate this point.

Erwan JACQ

Mar 29, 2011, 1:05:46 PM3/29/11
to OpenAcoustics
Hi,

I finally added a translation system using gettext to AlphaDoc.

https://codingteam.net/project/alphadoc/i18n

A acoustician from chile also contacted me to translate this software
in spanish.

I'm a worried about Japan nuclear plants. True informations are hard
to get as mass media want to protect our nuclear firms. Are you ok?

Cheers,

Erwan

Hisaharu SUZUKI

Mar 29, 2011, 9:06:31 PM3/29/11
to openac...@googlegroups.com
Hi Erwan,

Thank you for your information, it's a good news!

I will start translation for Japanese.
After translation, I will send the po file to you.

So, I registered my account as "hisaha" to CodingTeam.
If it is not against your policy,
please invite me your AlphaDocs project.
I can commit the language file directly.

> I'm a worried about Japan nuclear plants. True informations are hard
> to get as mass media want to protect our nuclear firms. Are you ok?

Thank you again. All project member is fine.
Of course, the strict situation keep going.
But people in Japan seems to keep their rational mind.

Just as personal story, my father was in Miyagi at that earthquake,,,
but he could avoid the damage of Tsunami.

Best,
Suzuki

Erwan JACQ

Mar 30, 2011, 2:11:54 PM3/30/11
to OpenAcoustics
You're now part of the AlphaDoc project :-)
You can then commit directly through mercurial. ($ hg push...)

I translated the GUI from french to english. Maybe translated strings
are'nt always accurate. So tell me if you want to change english
strings as this will inpact fr.po too.

Erwan

Hisaharu SUZUKI

Apr 1, 2011, 3:22:12 AM4/1/11
to openac...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, Erwan.

I begin to translate. After finish, I will inform you.
Let's continue it on the forum of coding team.