Rather Disappointed

Tom Lake

Jun 17, 2020, 8:13:51 PM6/17/20
to OpenAC1
I'm kinda disappointed that it doesn't use a cassette interface board and have the same I/O as the original. With all these updates, you really can't get a good idea of what people paid $666.66 for back then. The whole experience is different.

Tom L

Chris Davis

Jun 17, 2020, 9:02:50 PM6/17/20
to OpenAC1
It’s not done yet.

Chris Davis

Jun 18, 2020, 3:27:39 PM6/18/20
to OpenAC1

Randy E (OoMOR)

Jun 20, 2020, 4:46:28 PM6/20/20
to ope...@googlegroups.com
Yeah, I picked up one of these when they were still shipped by Vince. A very nice kit.

Randy

Chris Davis

Jun 20, 2020, 5:32:06 PM6/20/20
to OpenAC1
The more I learn about the ACI the more I'm leaning toward not messing with it.  The ACI requires -16v unregulated power and a fair amount of additional components to get it to work with Vince's kit.  Bottom line, it was designed to work with the original Apple 1.  There are plenty of sources for full size Apple 1 replica boards, and a source for Vince Briel's Replica 1 with the expansion slot.  America is a wonderful place and you can pick what Apple 1 you want.  I'm going to continue on my original path and focus on the keyboard and case.  After my kit is ready I'll publish the KiCAD files on Github and y'all can have a crack at adding the expansion slot.