"open_cad_format" especification

martin_gnu

Sep 8, 2007, 4:17:46 AM9/8/07
to open_cad_format

http://groups.google.com/group/open_cad_format/web/open-cad-format

This is a initial paper to the new open CAD format. By now we only
have the expecification of gcad3d, and therefore we only can work with
this format. The format is very complete and very customizable with a
pseuso-scripting system. We hope new especifications or an edition of
this format.

This is the original version of Franz Reiter. In open_cad_format
google list we can discuss about this format

martin_gnu

Oct 3, 2007, 5:13:01 AM10/3/07
to open_cad_format

I add votings to open_cad_format page. If you don´t have a google
account and you want do your vote send a normal post to the list and i
add you vote to this page. With a google account you can edit this
page by yourself, but talk about the changes to the list.

http://groups.google.com/group/open_cad_format/web/open-cad-format

oca/gcad 3 votes
STEP 3 votes

Regards.

illis quorum parnasist

Jan 10, 2008, 3:42:56 AM1/10/08
to open_cad_format
Hi, I'm a new member in this fora and I'd like to add a few wishings
to the wishlist. Since I'm working with CATIA V5 all day long at a
Nordic car manufacturer I've came across lots of things that would
benefit a lot from changing to an open format.
First of all, everything we do must be calculated for strength and
vibration and in the case of an engine or an air conditioning system
you must be certain that the flow is absolutely correct.
This implies that you eather fill up the company with lots of people
whos only task is calculating (i.e. calculating engineers) or you
(i.e. all other engineers) use the not so good built in calculating
function in CATIA and get results you can't use. All in all it comes
down to a matter of how many people do you need to engineer a thing?
If one engineer could do all the work in ONE application then you
would save millions and millions of piastres. But that you can only
achive if got EVERYTHING in ONE CAD-format!
This is why I plead to you to consider incorporating format for FEM
and light weight visualising and make it possible to run on computers
that are not so extremely expensive (i.e. smart coding).

As an example I've seen a demonstration of a FEM-program (force
distribution - i.e. vector fields) where a math professor had come up
with an algorithm that is so compact that he outperformed a hefty UNIX
computing cluster with an ordinary PC running LINUX!!! The company is
enmesh.se
My point is; if this professor could invent such an algorithm it
shouldn't be a impossible to find someone who could do the same for
geometries too.
Sorry to say, I'm just a simple engineer...