Bentley (dgn) and Autocad (dwg) agreement

martin_gnu

Nov 8, 2008, 5:36:13 PM11/8/08
to open_cad_format
Hi:

Bentley and Autodesk Join Hands to Bridge DGN and DWG.
http://aec.cadalyst.com/aec/News/Bentley-and-Autodesk-Join-Hands-to-Bridge-DGN-and-/ArticleStandard/Article/detail/529085?contextCategoryId=3046

Is this new good or BAD for free engineering software???
In the next microstation release they want use the Autodesk DWG
library and kill the ODA libray. It´s supposed Autodesk will use the
DGN library in all autcad apps not only in Autodesk map...

DGN in my opinion is more powerful than DWG and open (I don´t see
where, but bentley say it´s open).

PD:
I solved all SPAM problems in this list, but now i moderate all
messages post here.

Regards.

Felipe Castro

Nov 8, 2008, 7:05:54 PM11/8/08
to open_ca...@googlegroups.com
Oh, nice to hear something new here.

Two alternatives is better than just one. So I think it is better than worse.

About real open DGN, I guess this is something worth:

http://dgnlib.maptools.org/

And about real open DWG, I've been making some progress on reading
AutoCAD 2000 files. See here:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/libdwg/

Martin (OPENGeoMap)

Nov 9, 2008, 7:23:03 AM11/9/08
to open_ca...@googlegroups.com
hi;

On 9 nov, 01:05, "Felipe Castro" <fef...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Oh, nice to hear something new here.
>
> Two alternatives is better than just one. So I think it is better
than worse.

> About real open DGN, I guess this is something worth:
>
> http://dgnlib.maptools.org/

dgnlib is only for the dgn1 format and imcomplete. Now microstation use
dgn2 format which is more complete.

> And about real open DWG, I've been making some progress on reading
> AutoCAD 2000 files. See here:
>
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/libdwg/

Great!!. I don´t remember this library. Is it new???

Where do you take the especification??.

Regards.

martin_gnu

Nov 21, 2008, 7:43:19 AM11/21/08
to open_cad_format
Hi:

On Mon, Nov 10, 2008 at 12:29 AM, Felipe Castro <fef...@gmail.com>
wrote:

Hi,

2008/11/9 martin_gnu <openg...@gmail.com>:

> dgnlib is only for the dgn1 format and imcomplete. Now
microstation
> use dgn2 format which is more complete.

Yes, it's time to update... Maybe someone could try to get a
specification from Bentley.

I had the DGN1 C header fo the entities but i can not send you because
it´s of the company i work. This header file give us bentley 10 years
ago.

>> http://sourceforge.net/projects/libdwg/
>
> Great!!. I don´t remember this library. Is it new???
>
> Where do you take the especification??.

Maybe, a little bit new, but also incomplete. I have few time to
work
on it, so it's not usable. I intend to do some kind of "anti-dwg"
tool, that is:

dwg (2000) --> dxf
dwg --> dgn (maybe...)
dwg --> pdf (maybe...)

But that's a long term project, I have other ones to accomplish
first.
I'm using the specification from ODA, this one here:

http://www.opendwg.org/files/guestdownloads/DwgFormatSpec13-2007.rtf

Yes it would be great use that specification to create a reader/
writer. In C like you work we can create bindings for all kind of
languages (.NET, JAVA, ruby, D, VALA, python, etc).
Microstation v8 use that especification and manage DWG format very
well for the 2000 version. Last microstation have good support for
2004 version.

For me the most interesting is investigate a new format using SQlite
(working with the b-tree directly) or using the EBML format.
http://ebml.sourceforge.net/

It's a little bit "cryptic"... But with some patience (and a bit
of
reverse engineering) I could decypher it enough to read the
important
data.

I started a project like 8 months ago to export from autocad and
microstation to one "free" format. The problem we don´t have consense
in that. Using .NET (c#) we can have real support for privative
software like Microstation, Autocad, Arc gis, etc for all versions.

In my opinion we need a free format (not DWG, not DGN, not DXF). With
the c# library we could add support to that format in a easy way to
all versions and kind of privative formats.

regards.