News. openDWG is free software already!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

martin_gnu

Jan 22, 2008, 11:07:37 AM1/22/08
to open_cad_format
Hi:

1).- we are the first in google. If you find "open cad format" we are
in the first and the second position. The open design alliance are the
3º.

2) openDWG especification is free now in a text document:
http://www.opendwg.org/files/guestdownloads/formatSpec13-15.rtf
http://www.opendwg.org/

Today is a great day for the
engineers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

We are OCA people and they are now the ODA people. hehe

Regards.

Mars DeLapp

Jan 23, 2008, 12:57:52 AM1/23/08
to open_ca...@googlegroups.com
martin_gnu wrote:

> 2) openDWG especification is free now in a text document:
> http://www.opendwg.org/files/guestdownloads/formatSpec13-15.rtf
> http://www.opendwg.org/

Even better, they have now published the 2007 dwg format specification
http://www.opendwg.org/guestfiles/
http://www.opendwg.org/files/guestdownloads/DwgFormatSpec13-2007.rtf

The software that the Open Design Alliance produces is not free software. But now that they have published the dwg
format specification, someone can use that to produce a free software library to read and write dwg files.

Mars

martin_gnu

Jan 23, 2008, 3:13:19 AM1/23/08
to open_cad_format
Hi:

On Jan 23, 6:57 am, Mars DeLapp <jmd.maill...@delapp.com> wrote:

> Even better, they have now published the 2007 dwg format specificationhttp://www.opendwg.org/guestfiles/http://www.opendwg.org/files/guestdownloads/DwgFormatSpec13-2007.rtf

1)They had a public forum, i didn´t know,... http://forum.opendesign.com
Some rooms in this forum are private.

2) In the new version of the website they hide the name of companies
like Esri, Adobe, bentley,...

In the especification they talk about interesting things:

The OpenDWG file format specification, from the Open Design Alliance,
is based upon AutoCAD's undocumented DWG file format. This
specification includes versions from Release 13 up to and including
R2004, and a partial description of the 2007 format.
We strive to make OpenDWG as compatible with AutoCAD DWG as is
possible. However, you will find in this document, certain bit and
byte values listed as "unknown." Although we invest tremendous effort
in reverse-engineering AutoCAD DWG, some of these values have resisted
our efforts. While we are able to read and write DWG files with
excellent AutoCAD compatibility, we continue to work to improve our
understanding of all the data in the DWG file. If you find
information which will help us to understand any unknown values, or
would like to get an update, to see if we have further information on
these values, please contact us at our online support forum,
http://forum.opendesign.com .

Regards.