Apologies.

Mike Liebhold

Jun 15, 2010, 6:42:27 PM6/15/10
to Phil Archer, Christine Perey, Damon H, Dan Brickley, open...@googlegroups.com
Dear Phil and Colleagues at the W3C AR workshop.

Unfortunately unexpected and unrelated project burdens have prevented
me from contributing to the W3C AR workshop. (This workload is
particularly unfortunate since I am leaving for a long overdue holiday
in Peru in 2 days, and I have a ton to finish before I leave.)

I"ll continue to work to complete my discussion draft on an open AR
web browser, data portability, and open software stack, while I'm
travelling, and will submit to you for subsequent discussions.

The main idea I was going to suggest as practical and tangilbe starting
point is the creation of a reference model for an AR [focal plane] web
browser for viewing data and media attached to physical place and
objects, starting with a mobile device display profile extensible in a
few years for head mounted displays

HTML5 is an excellent starting point for the meta framework of a
browser markup that is sufficiently open to enable import and rendering
of all kinds of complex media. included embeded OGC KML which has
excellent standard markup supporting cinematic or focal plane views of
abundant geospatial data that already exists. There are already 2billion
KML placemarks available on the web. None of these placemarks are HTML5
page objects. Perhaps They should be(?)

One critical open specification for an open AR web Browser is the
specification of for expression for browser query for for location
sensing and object recognition by matching photographs or to be defined
standard sub samples or point clouds to be compared with standard
reference data sets on the web. This work should also include standards
for simpler pattern geometries like QR codes, as Dan Brickley suggested.
Recent meetings here at Stanfrod University convened experts from Nokia,
Google, Microsoft, and others working in this area to begin work on what
could be a contentious proces since these big players have considerable
vested interests in setting de facto proprietary standards.

Best Wishes to everyone in Barcelona,

Mike

Michael Liebhold
Senior Researcher, Distinguished Fellow