Welcome to the openARweb discusions

Mike Liebhold

Apr 21, 2010, 6:01:42 PM4/21/10
to open...@googlegroups.com
Hi Friends,

This list is a follow-on to a growing amount of e-mail discussion around open ARweb data and software, moved to a central resource. Please feel free to post your ideas, proposals, announcements, invitations, on any of the following topics or any other related topics:
  • image search and visual positioning for AR (including semantics and image point sample exchange frameworks)
  • ARweb software stack
  • AR browsers (including semantics for viewing frames including  precise 3D position, pitch yaw and field for viewing objects in any - precise- 3D )
  • 3D frameworks and interchange ( e.g. for games and CAD objects)
  • geo AR frameworks for AR: including 3D CRSs (Coordinate Reference Systems)
  • AR viewers, headsets, and contact lenses
  • Realtime protocols  for AR including wfp ( Wave Federation Protocol), xmpp, etc.
  • W3C data frameworks for AR ( e.g. standard 'place pages', including HTML5 Semantics? )
  • HTTP REST  and linked data for AR
  • ARvideo, streaming AR,  stereo 3D AR ... etc.
And, If you feel like it, please introduce yourself, and your interest in Augmented Reality. I'll start:

Hi. I'm Mike Liebhold, a senior researcher at the Institute for the Future, IFTF.org working with our clients to better understand the future. Over the last five years, I've engaged in lots of AR projects with a variety of our clients including media companies, mobile computing and network companies, automobile companies, government agencies, consumer products companies, and health services groups. In December 2009, I lead the team that launched the first ARdevcamp at the Hacker Dojo in Mountain View, Ca. In a prior life I was a senior scientist at Apple's Advanced Technology Group working on a whole range of foundation technologies for AR.

Cheers~

Mike

ThomasWrobel

Apr 22, 2010, 7:51:29 AM4/22/10
to Open ARweb
Okdokie.
I'm Thomas Wrobel, I studied 3D Computer Animation at Portsmouth
Universe, and am now part
of a small company recently started in the Netherlands. (http:/
lostagain.nl)
We work mostly on ARGs (Alternative Reality Games), as well as autocad
work for civil planning.

I've been interested in Augmented Reality a long time, but its taken a
particularly spike in recent years.
I released a paper entitled "everything everywhere" on the subject of
AR's future and although I feel much
that I said was obvious, it got quite a bit of attention online.
Since then Ive been working with a few others on clients to show what
Wave Federation Protocol can do for AR. (arwave.org)

oh, and I'm massive Dennou Coil fan....

On Apr 22, 12:01 am, Mike Liebhold <m...@well.com> wrote:
> Hi Friends,
>
> This list is a follow-on to a growing amount of e-mail discussion around
> open ARweb data and software, moved to a central resource. Please feel
> free to post your ideas, proposals, announcements, invitations, on any
> of the following topics or any other related topics:
>
>     * image search and visual positioning for AR (including semantics
>       and image point sample exchange frameworks)
>     * ARweb software stack
>     * AR browsers (including semantics for viewing frames including
>       precise 3D position, pitch yaw and field for viewing objects in
>       any - precise- 3D )
>     * 3D frameworks and interchange ( e.g. for games and CAD objects)
>     * geo AR frameworks for AR: including 3D CRSs (Coordinate Reference
>       Systems)
>     * AR viewers, headsets, and contact lenses
>     * Realtime protocols  for AR including wfp ( Wave Federation
>       Protocol), xmpp, etc.
>     * W3C data frameworks for AR ( e.g. standard 'place pages',
>       including HTML5 Semantics? )
>     * HTTP REST  and linked data for AR
>     * ARvideo, streaming AR,  stereo 3D AR ... etc.
>
> And, If you feel like it, please introduce yourself, and your interest
> in Augmented Reality. I'll start:
>
> Hi. I'm Mike Liebhold, a senior researcher at the Institute for the
> Future, IFTF.org working with our clients to better understand the
> future. Over the last five years, I've engaged in lots of AR projects
> with a variety of our clients including media companies, mobile
> computing and network companies, automobile companies, government
> agencies, consumer products companies, and health services groups. In
> December 2009, I lead the team that launched the first ARdevcamp at the
> Hacker Dojo in Mountain View, Ca. In a prior life I was a senior
> scientist at Apple's Advanced Technology Group working on a whole range
> of foundation technologies for AR.
>
> Cheers~
>
> Mike

Davide Carnovale

Apr 24, 2010, 8:01:45 AM4/24/10
to open...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,
I'm Francesco Davide Carnovale and i'm an IT student at the university of Cagliari (IT)
I've developed with various languages/frameworks during my academic career,
ranging from linux kernel drivers to web applications.
I'm passionate with emerging technologies and AR caught my imagination pretty fast.
I have some experience with artoolkit and i'm working with the arwave.org team since late december.
I firmly believe that we'll all live in ar-space in 10 to 15 years.

MikeLiebhold

Apr 29, 2010, 12:12:48 PM4/29/10
to Open ARweb
Hi friends,

Wow - Over 70 people signed up for this discussion. Welcome!

So far only a few have posted introductions or comments. In order to
ignite a bit more dialog. I'd like to invite everyone who hasn't yet
introduced themselves, to please do! I realize a few people are very
shy, and just lurking, but there are a lot of people I know who are
deeply interested in the future of augmented reality, and have some
particular interests and expertise. (See below for some touch points)

So if you are not shy, please post a brief introduction, and your
particular interests in an open AR web.

Thanks again for joining us!

MIke Liebhold
list admin.

On Apr 21, 3:01 pm, Mike Liebhold <m...@well.com> wrote:
> Hi Friends,
>
> This list is a follow-on to a growing amount of e-mail discussion around
> open ARweb data and software, moved to a central resource. Please feel
> free to post your ideas, proposals, announcements, invitations, on any
> of the following topics or any other related topics:
>
>     * image search and visual positioning for AR (including semantics
>       and image point sample exchange frameworks)
>     * ARweb software stack
>     * AR browsers (including semantics for viewing frames including
>       precise 3D position, pitch yaw and field for viewing objects in
>       any - precise- 3D )
>     * 3D frameworks and interchange ( e.g. for games and CAD objects)
>     * geo AR frameworks for AR: including 3D CRSs (Coordinate Reference
>       Systems)
>     * AR viewers, headsets, and contact lenses
>     * Realtime protocols  for AR including wfp ( Wave Federation
>       Protocol), xmpp, etc.
>     * W3C data frameworks for AR ( e.g. standard 'place pages',
>       including HTML5 Semantics? )
>     * HTTP REST  and linked data for AR
>     * ARvideo, streaming AR,  stereo 3D AR ... etc.
>
> And, If you feel like it, please introduce yourself, and your interest
> in Augmented Reality. I'll start:
>
> Hi. I'm Mike Liebhold, a senior researcher at the Institute for the
> Future, IFTF.org working with our clients to better understand the
> future. Over the last five years, I've engaged in lots of AR projects
> with a variety of our clients including media companies, mobile
> computing and network companies, automobile companies, government
> agencies, consumer products companies, and health services groups. In
> December 2009, I lead the team that launched the first ARdevcamp at the
> Hacker Dojo in Mountain View, Ca. In a prior life I was a senior
> scientist at Apple's Advanced Technology Group working on a whole range
> of foundation technologies for AR.
>
> Cheers~
>
> Mike

SebastienProvencher

Apr 30, 2010, 9:31:28 AM4/30/10
to Open ARweb
Hi!

I'm Sebastien Provencher, entrepreneur/consultant and observer of the
local/social media scene via my blog (http://blogs.praized.com/seb/).
I'm interested in the AR scene because of it's potential local/social/
urban impacts but I haven't drank the AR kool-aid yet. I joined the
group to learn more about this open standards initiative and learn
more about AR in general.

Seb.

On Apr 21, 6:01 pm, Mike Liebhold <m...@well.com> wrote:
> Hi Friends,
>
> This list is a follow-on to a growing amount of e-mail discussion around
> open ARweb data and software, moved to a central resource. Please feel
> free to post your ideas, proposals, announcements, invitations, on any
> of the following topics or any other related topics:
>
>     * image search and visual positioning for AR (including semantics
>       and image point sample exchange frameworks)
>     * ARweb software stack
>     * AR browsers (including semantics for viewing frames including
>       precise 3D position, pitch yaw and field for viewing objects in
>       any - precise- 3D )
>     * 3D frameworks and interchange ( e.g. for games and CAD objects)
>     * geo AR frameworks for AR: including 3D CRSs (Coordinate Reference
>       Systems)
>     * AR viewers, headsets, and contact lenses
>     * Realtime protocols  for AR including wfp ( Wave Federation
>       Protocol), xmpp, etc.
>     * W3C data frameworks for AR ( e.g. standard 'place pages',
>       including HTML5 Semantics? )
>     * HTTP REST  and linked data for AR
>     * ARvideo, streaming AR,  stereo 3D AR ... etc.
>
> And, If you feel like it, please introduce yourself, and your interest
> in Augmented Reality. I'll start:
>
> Hi. I'm Mike Liebhold, a senior researcher at the Institute for the
> Future, IFTF.org working with our clients to better understand the
> future. Over the last five years, I've engaged in lots of AR projects
> with a variety of our clients including media companies, mobile
> computing and network companies, automobile companies, government
> agencies, consumer products companies, and health services groups. In
> December 2009, I lead the team that launched the first ARdevcamp at the
> Hacker Dojo in Mountain View, Ca. In a prior life I was a senior
> scientist at Apple's Advanced Technology Group working on a whole range
> of foundation technologies for AR.
>
> Cheers~
>
> Mike

Markus Strickler

Apr 30, 2010, 9:46:37 AM4/30/10
to open...@googlegroups.com
Hi all-
picking up Mike's suggestion I'll continue the introduction thread.

I'm Markus Strickler, my background is in Image Sciences and I've been developing Web applications for the last 15 years or so with a strong emphasis on new and emerging technologies. I am currently involved in several research projects on Serious Gaming and location based mobile applications.
I'm also part of the development team behind ARWave and am currently working as Senior Java Developer in Cologne, Germany.

I've had an eye on Augmented reality for quite some time, but what really sparked my interest was William Gibson's book Spook Country.
As location is becoming a commodity in most current web applications an AR view seems to be the logical next step. I also firmly believe that location and augmented reality is going to play a very important role for the future of gaming.

-markus

Sam Critchley

May 2, 2010, 5:00:02 PM5/2/10
to open...@googlegroups.com

Hi Mike, everyone,

Good evening from Amsterdam! Sam Critchley here at GyPSii. If you haven't heard of us (our apps GyPSii on most mobile platforms and, if you're on Twitter , Tweetsii on iPhone/Android), check us out, we're a location-oriented social media network with a big index of user-created content. Biggest in China but picking up plenty of members elsewhere too.

Thanks for starting up this list, and thanks to whoever announced it on the geowanking list - there's so much going on these days. It's a great topic area and there's so much we can look forward to in the future.

At the moment we don't have AR in our app - it's something we're watching develop, so I'm probably a lurker for now. Initially we see AR as one possible view of the GyPSii member's world, alongside "list" and "map". However, we've thought of some other neat uses for the future.

Two topics of initial interest:

1. Standardisation across mobile platforms. Great if we can use the same code to initiate and control an AR view on all platforms, that will save us a lot of code.

2. The combination of AR with short-range 3D location detection, to be able to show more precise information on screen. For example, in an AR view of a crowd of people, I'd want to be able to see who John Smith and Jane Doe are (if they let me) and overlay information about them. This would probably work by 3D triangulation of source of e.g. Bluetooth or NFC signal. Anyone got any links they can share on work done in this area?

I don't know if anyone from Layar is on this list, but they're near us in Amsterdam and I've met Maarten Lens-Fitzgerald a couple of times, I'll ping him and see if he wants to sign up.

If anyone's passing through Amsterdam, feel free to drop me a line and come over to our office for a coffee. You're also welcome to plug in for a recharge and use our WiFi.

I look forward to reading a lot of great stuff on this list!

Thanks,

Sam

PS does anyone have a link to the video of the Parrot bluetooth-controlled AR copter? You fly the thing using the accelerometer on your phone, watching the video feed come back from the copter, and you can even shoot aliens as they appear, superimposed on the view of the real world. Great AR entertainment!

Sam Critchley
Co-Founder
GyPSii
http://www.gypsii.com/
scrit...@gypsii.com
GyPSii HQ Amsterdam
Mobile: +31 6 28 233 133
Landline: +31 20 520 3900
Fax: +31 20 524 8896
Join the GyPSii mobile lifestyle
Download GyPSii to your phone
Latest GyPSii Place:
http://www.gypsii.com/latest_place.cgi?user=scrit...@gypsii.com

Thomas Wrobel

May 2, 2010, 5:17:37 PM5/2/10
to open...@googlegroups.com
http://ardrone.parrot.com/parrot-ar-drone/en is the one :)
Theres also a rover made by another group;
Thats cool in a similar way.

Anyway, good to hear from you, we are in Tilburg so we might drop by sometime.
I think for short-range location of the sort you describe facial recognition would be needed. Even with Gallio satellites coming online in a few years, it probably wont be good enough to pin-point a person in a crowd.

I'll check out your apps now :)

-Thomas Wrobel
ARWave.org

Dan Brickley

May 2, 2010, 5:34:32 PM5/2/10
to open...@googlegroups.com
On Sun, May 2, 2010 at 11:17 PM, Thomas Wrobel <dark...@gmail.com> wrote:
> http://ardrone.parrot.com/parrot-ar-drone/en is the one :)
> Theres also a rover made by another group;
> http://gamesalfresco.com/2010/02/04/augmented-reality-drones-revenge-of-the-rovers/
> Thats cool in a similar way.
> Anyway, good to hear from you, we are in Tilburg so we might drop by
> sometime.

Small world, I'm also in Amsterdam and would love to meet up to talk
about lightweight standards and different ways of partioning
standardisable things into a more manageable set of problems. Anyone
up for an AR lunch in Amsterdam in -say- a couple of weeks?

cheers,

Dan

Anselm Hook

May 2, 2010, 5:38:12 PM5/2/10
to open...@googlegroups.com
My favorite link still on the AR front isn't even an AR link - it's

http://www.ted.com/talks/jesse_schell_when_games_invade_real_life.html

I like it because it connects an idea of game like goals with the real world.

Tish Shute

May 3, 2010, 12:08:24 AM5/3/10
to Open ARweb
Hi all, I'm glad to see more introductions. And I am happy we have
this discussion group, especially in light of Mike's comments on what
appears to brewing as a "premature race to standards." My own intro
is in another thread I started in this group on Some Practical Design
Thoughts - I am a big fan of working code to test out consensus, so I
hope people do post hacks, architecture thoughts and code here too,
not just blue skying discussions.

Sam! I loved Dan Harple's presentation (Gypsii), "Evolution of
Location and Places," at the #140conf. I am totally with him on,
“everyone get’s connection, and that connection in real time is the
thing if we can get it, and that real time connection is innately
mobile.” This is in part why I believe that we must work on a
standard realtime (or nr to realtime) communications framework for AR
as a primary effort. Also, I think that one the biggest challenges
for AR is being able to access common sets of data in different
layers or applications, without duplication or undue segregation. I
think at the end of the day it is the data, and integration of many
data streams, that will make AR interesting, right? And the fissure/
fracture problems exasperated by the mobile ecosystem, which is a much
more controlled value chain than the web, would be significantly
addressed through a common interchange framework.

I'm also with Anselm on the significance of Jesse Schell's
perspective on the "gamepocalypse" as being very relevant to the
future of AR. Protocols that can transmit interesting game like
behaviors will be vital for AR (this has been a domain pretty much
confined to the "secret" and mostly proprietary world of game
development up to now). Also I would second Thomas' comment that some
of the start ups are interested in OpenAR. Layar in particular have
reached out several times. I do think that AR walled gardens that
want to scale will wan to join the conversation on Open AR. But being
a startup is pretty demanding, and I guess they are finding it hard to
find the time for open ended discussion and committees.
best,
Tish

Gene Becker

May 3, 2010, 1:13:01 AM5/3/10
to open...@googlegroups.com
Hello old friends and new,

Just a quick introduction for now, hope to add to the discussion more substantively soon. I'm Gene Becker, and I do research and consulting on emerging tech including AR & ubicomp through my company Lightning Laboratories. In my previous life I led tech research and new business startups in ubicomp, cloud and personal computing at HP Labs. A few months ago I wrote about Open AR: What's the Point? http://www.lightninglaboratories.com/tcw/2009/09/open-ar-whats-the-point/ and Six Methods for Specifying Location in Mobile AR http://www.lightninglaboratories.com/tcw/2009/10/wheres-the-auggie-six-methods-for-specifying-location-in-mobile-ar/ Neither of these is especially earthshaking, in fact they are pretty basic. I suppose that serves to remind us of how far we have to go in working out what a full open AR stack will ultimately provide. Looking forward...

Cheers,
Gene

JoeLamantia

May 3, 2010, 3:36:12 AM5/3/10
to Open ARweb
Hello All,

Also based in Amsterdam, I'm an Experience Design consultant and tech
strategist interested in AR and lbs / geo experiences. I've worked
with Thomas and Tish on some of their AR Wave efforts around defining
the framework for real-time interactions. I also write / speak on the
user experience aspects of augmented reality; recently focused on what
I'm calling 'Social Augmented Experiences' - the blend of AR and
social contexts and elements.

Since there are a few people in / near Amsterdam, maybe we could meet
for coffee / lunch / drinks in the near future?

Cheers,
Joe Lamantia

@moJoe
Mobile: +31 624 238 198
http://www.joelamantia.com

On Apr 22, 12:01 am, Mike Liebhold <m...@well.com> wrote:
> Hi Friends,
>
> This list is a follow-on to a growing amount of e-mail discussion around
> open ARweb data and software, moved to a central resource. Please feel
> free to post your ideas, proposals, announcements, invitations, on any
> of the following topics or any other related topics:
>
>     * image search and visual positioning for AR (including semantics
>       and image point sample exchange frameworks)
>     * ARweb software stack
>     * AR browsers (including semantics for viewing frames including
>       precise 3D position, pitch yaw and field for viewing objects in
>       any - precise- 3D )
>     * 3D frameworks and interchange ( e.g. for games and CAD objects)
>     * geo AR frameworks for AR: including 3D CRSs (Coordinate Reference
>       Systems)
>     * AR viewers, headsets, and contact lenses
>     * Realtime protocols  for AR including wfp ( Wave Federation
>       Protocol), xmpp, etc.
>     * W3C data frameworks for AR ( e.g. standard 'place pages',
>       including HTML5 Semantics? )
>     * HTTP REST  and linked data for AR
>     * ARvideo, streaming AR,  stereo 3D AR ... etc.
>
> And, If you feel like it, please introduce yourself, and your interest
> in Augmented Reality. I'll start:
>
> Hi. I'm Mike Liebhold, a senior researcher at the Institute for the
> Future, IFTF.org working with our clients to better understand the
> future. Over the last five years, I've engaged in lots of AR projects
> with a variety of our clients including media companies, mobile
> computing and network companies, automobile companies, government
> agencies, consumer products companies, and health services groups. In
> December 2009, I lead the team that launched the first ARdevcamp at the
> Hacker Dojo in Mountain View, Ca. In a prior life I was a senior
> scientist at Apple's Advanced Technology Group working on a whole range
> of foundation technologies for AR.
>
> Cheers~
>
> Mike

ThomasWrobel

May 3, 2010, 8:08:14 AM5/3/10
to Open ARweb
Dan Brickley already suggested it.
Seems a good idea to me.

Of course, once we have completely solved all the problems and made a
prototype infrastructure over that launch, then we should be sure to
inform the non-dutch members of this group ;)

On May 3, 9:36 am, JoeLamantia <joe.laman...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> Also based in Amsterdam, I'm an Experience Design consultant and tech
> strategist interested in AR and lbs / geo experiences.  I've worked
> with Thomas and Tish on some of their AR Wave efforts around defining
> the framework for real-time interactions. I also write / speak on the
> user experience aspects of augmented reality; recently focused on what
> I'm calling 'Social Augmented Experiences' - the blend of AR and
> social contexts and elements.
>
> Since there are a few people in / near Amsterdam, maybe we could meet
> for coffee / lunch / drinks in the near future?
>
> Cheers,
> Joe Lamantia
>
> @moJoe
> Mobile: +31 624 238 198http://www.joelamantia.com

Sam Critchley

May 10, 2010, 7:13:30 AM5/10/10
to open...@googlegroups.com

Hi,

Sorry, been on holiday for a few days just over the border in Belgium... anyway, I'm definitely up for some kind of AR lunch in Amsterdam, and I'm sure a couple of other GyPSii people would be into it. Let's arrange it off-list. Anyone else not based in the Netherlands is of course welcome if you happen to be in the area!

Thanks,

Sam
Get GyPSii on your phone: http://gypsii.com/m
My latest GyPSii Place: http://www.gypsii.com/latest_place.cgi?user=scrit...@gypsii.com