[openARweb] fyi: a trove of .pdf research reports on see-through head mounted displays

Mike Liebhold

May 7, 2010, 10:58:04 PM5/7/10
to open...@googlegroups.com
fyi: here's a trove of .pdf research reports on see-through head mounted
displays

some of this material is slightly dated, but great background for
prospective designers of HMD AR

http://openpdf.com/ebook/see-through-hmd-pdf.html

Tish Shute

May 8, 2010, 12:37:12 AM5/8/10
to Open ARweb
Thanks Mike. This really is a treasure trove! And it reminded me
that I want to encourage people on this list to come to Augmented
Reality Event, June 2nd, 3rd, Ca. http://augmentedrealityevent.com/
(please use my discount code TISH245 to register, it saves you $50).
It will be a unique opportunity to explore the next generation of
augmented reality eyewear - six companies will be bringing AR glasses
and HMDs to the expo, and speaking on The Future of AR Glasses
panel.

There's an awesome schedule of speakers for ARE2010, including many
people from this list, so it will be a chance for us to explore in
person some of the ideas we have about OpenAR.

Also, there will also be a Start Up Launch Pad with a substantial
prize for the winner - watch for more news on this in the next couple
of days!

Keynote speakers are Bruce Sterling, Will Wright (Spore, The Sims &
now AR and The Stupid Fun Club), Jesse Schell (who will give the AR
follow up to his now viral Dice talk), and Blaise Aguera y Arcas
(Microsoft Bing) whose talk on augmented reality was one of the most
popular talks at TED this year.

There are 2 days, 3 tracks, 40 AR companies, 76 Speakers ...

I am looking forward to meeting many of you there.

best,
Tish

ThomasWrobel

May 10, 2010, 8:56:53 AM5/10/10
to Open ARweb
Nice list. Wish I had more time for reading.

I'm always interested in retina-projection based techniques though, as
they seem mostly overlooked. (sometimes dismissed as "dangerous", yet
Ive never seen any support of that statement). Given that some people
have some dislike for wearing glass's, and contact-len's are pretty
far away, it always seemed like a plausible middle-ground to me.

Of course though, without a tinted lens to filter ambient light, you
could never have black or high-contrast imagery projected.