Difference between official OPC UA .NET Standard Stack and open62541

nico....@hotmail.de

Sep 30, 2021, 12:00:54 PM9/30/21
to open62541
Hello,

I'm student and have to develope an OPC UA Server for my master thesis. Therefore I want to get an overview how to program an OPC Server. Now I've read there are SDKs from different maintainers like open62541 or proprietary SDKs.
But there is also the official OPC UA .NET Standard Stack from the OPC Foundation.

Now I don't know what the difference between the Official OPC UA .NET Standard Stack and open62541 is - can someone help?

Thanks
ply

Götz Görisch

Oct 1, 2021, 2:19:07 AM10/1/21
to open62541
Hi Nico,

Thank you for your question.
As you correctly mentioned an OPC UA server can be implemented with the help of an SDK. There are many out there for the various programming languages.
The researchers of the ISW (University of Stuttgart) started a information collection on this: https://github.com/iswunistuttgart/awesome-opcua

The difference between the open62541 (C) and the OPC-Foundation .NET-Standard (C#) SDK is, that the are for different programming languages and their OSS license.
Many of the commercial .NET SDKs are based in the .NET reference implementation maintained by Microsoft and Softing.

A sample implementation of simulated machines based on the open62541 SDK could be found here: https://github.com/umati/Sample-Server

I hope this helps you?

Take care,
Götz