Using OWFa 1.0 for open hardware

David Recordon

Apr 7, 2011, 7:26:13 PM4/7/11
to open-web...@googlegroups.com
Wanted to share how we've applied the version 1.0 Open Web Foundation
Agreement to a set of hardware specifications. When we were looking at
licensing options the OWFa seemed to fit despite being thought of for
software.

Can find the server specifications on http://opencompute.org/servers/
and then we used Creative Commons for the CAD files.

Thanks to everyone involved in drafting the agreement!

--David

Brady Brim-DeForest

Apr 7, 2011, 8:00:47 PM4/7/11
to open-web...@googlegroups.com, David Recordon
David, that's great. Thanks for sharing!

--
Brady Brim-DeForest
www.brimdeforest.com (the blog)

Follow me: twitter.com/bradybd

This email is:   [ ] bloggable    [X] ask first   [ ] private

Steve Repetti

Apr 7, 2011, 8:04:32 PM4/7/11
to open-web...@googlegroups.com, David Recordon

Totally Cool!!!!

(Love the FB comments too!)

--Steve Repetti

Paul Downey

Apr 8, 2011, 2:21:24 AM4/8/11
to open-web...@googlegroups.com, David Recordon
Hi David!

> Wanted to share how we've applied the version 1.0 Open Web Foundation
> Agreement to a set of hardware specifications. When we were looking at
> licensing options the OWFa seemed to fit despite being thought of for
> software.

Great stuff!

> Can find the server specifications on http://opencompute.org/servers/
> and then we used Creative Commons for the CAD files.

I guess other artefacts, such as circuit diagrams, Gerber, PCB netlist
or routing files necessary to recreate these servers will be on their
way.

It'll be interesting to watch how opencompute handles "patches" and
contributions, something of a challenge for any open hardware project.

> Thanks to everyone involved in drafting the agreement!

Indeed! And thanks to you, David and Facebook for putting these up.
This is great news for the nascent, but important Open Source Hardware
movement*. I'm hopeful OpenComute will be a success for Facebook and
improves the state of the art of the datacentre, which is good for
everyone.

--
Paul (psd)
http://blog.whatfettle.com

* Folks in London interested in Open Source Hardware might be
interested in our monthly meetup: http://oshug.org