Announcing OWFa and CLA 1.0

Lawrence Rosen

Mar 31, 2011, 12:49:04 PM3/31/11
to open-web...@googlegroups.com

[apologies in advance for cross-posting]

The Board of Directors of the Open Web Foundation has unanimously approved the publication of the final version 1.0 of two Contributor License Agreements (CLA) and two Final Specification Agreements (OWFa). The OWFa and CLA are model agreements designed to be used by a wide range of communities and organizations for specifying standard functionality for computer software, whether open source or proprietary, regardless of the software license. To date, OWF agreements have been used by Esri, Facebook, Google, Microsoft, Yahoo! and others.

The OWFa and CLA grant copyright and patent rights for implementations of a specification, ensuring that downstream consumers may freely implement and reuse the licensed specification without seeking further permission. In addition to the agreement itself, we also created an easy-to-read FAQ that provides a high level overview of the agreements.

Links to the OWF model agreements:

CLA 1.0 - Copyright & Patent

OWFa 1.0 - Copyright & Patent

CLA 1.0 - Copyright-only

OWFa 1.0 - Patent-only

To use the agreements with your own specifications, please see our FAQ:

FAQ for Contributors, Supporters, Implementers and Users of Open Specifications

The Open Web Foundation is open to everyone without charge and we actively solicit feedback and participation from the community at large, whether or not you are Open Web Foundation members. Interested individuals are encouraged to join the Open Web Foundation general discussion list to offer input and support.

We encourage public comments and suggestions.

/Larry Rosen on behalf of the OWF Legal Drafting Committee

McDowell, Brett

Mar 31, 2011, 1:13:29 PM3/31/11
to open-web...@googlegroups.com
Just a quick comment or two.

(1) I've been waiting for this (and I'm not the only one). I suspect it will see much more adoption than version 0.9.

(2) I'm already using it with several other companies on a new (not yet public) project.

Kudos to the OWF Board for hitting this milestone. Just because the open-web-discuss mail list has been quiet for awhile doesn't mean this work isn't important and needed.

Thank you!

---
Brett McDowell
Sr. MTS, Security Evangelist