Status of OWFa and CLA 1.0 public review

Lawrence Rosen

Oct 2, 2010, 1:01:48 PM10/2/10
to open-web...@googlegroups.com

To: Open Web Foundation participants and members:

Starting on Monday, 9/27, through 9 am on Saturday, 10/2, Open Web Foundation received 417 visits to our website from 55 countries. [A report from Google Analytics is attached.] While this doesn't equal the high traffic volumes experienced by websites like Facebook in their early days, in the FOSS legal world this seems like a flood. We've apparently gotten the word out to FOSS-involved companies and their lawyers that the OWF CLA and OWFa 1.0 are available for public review.

Our website homepage and the important links to the new agreements and FAQ are quickly moving up in search engine priority for searches on "OWF" and "OWFa".

So far I have seen no brickbats or other incendiary attacks on our OWF model. Indeed, it is now seriously being considered by W3C as a possible IP legal structure for its new Community Standards activities.

David Rudin and I will need to schedule a meeting of the Legal Drafting Committee, make any corrections that come through this public review process to our CLA and OWFa 1.0 agreements and the FAQ, and submit the agreements to the OWF Board of Directors for approval as official Open Web Foundation documents. This public review period ends October 8. More on this as we get closer to that date....

Thanks to all of you for encouraging your friends to visit www.openwebfoundation.org.

/Larry

Lawrence Rosen

3001 King Ranch Road, Ukiah, CA 95482

Cell: 707-478-8932

Apache Software Foundation, member and counsel (www.apache.org)

Open Web Foundation, board member (www.openwebfoundation.org)

Stanford University, Instructor in Law

Author, Open Source Licensing: Software Freedom and Intellectual Property Law (Prentice Hall 2004)

Analytics_openwebfoundation_20100927-20101002.pdf