Generating SDCH dictionaries using open-vcdiff

Can Selçik

Jun 20, 2014, 6:31:07 PM6/20/14
to open-...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
I'm wondering if it is possible to generate SDCH dictionaries using open-vcdiff. I am currently using femtozip but due to its design, it tends to output small dictionaries. We are thinking of enabling SDCH on our platform and use SDCH-encoding to transmit HTML, CSS and JS but femtozip is taking too long to build the dictionary.

How can I generate SDCH dictionaries using open-vcdiff?

open-vcdiff

Jun 25, 2014, 11:10:56 AM6/25/14
to open-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Can:

Thanks much for your interest.  open-vcdiff includes an encoder and decoder but not an SDCH dictionary generator.

It looks as though you can specify a desired dictionary size for femtozip with --maxdict:

Cheers,
Lincoln

Can Selçik

Jun 25, 2014, 11:43:01 AM6/25/14
to open-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Lincoln,
Thanks for the reply. While femtozip sufficiently generates a dictionary, when it is given a large amount of files, it tends to get into an infinite loop and never complete the dictionary generation. We identified the issue and fixed it but even without this issue, dictionary generation takes days on a large set of files.

Are there any resources that you can point us to about dictionary generation? It is hard to believe that if someone wants to generate an SDCH dictionary, they have to use femtozip and that they have no other option. In my opinion, this is a major reason why SDCH is still in its infancy while it has so much potential to reduce traffic.