Re: [OSN] Abridged summary of open-sustainability-network@googlegroups.com - 1 Message in 1 Topic

jean russell

Apr 20, 2010, 1:14:04 PM4/20/10
to open-sustaina...@googlegroups.com
Thank you Paul. Appreciate your note.

Chris Watkins and Lonny both contributed to the ebook. Very grateful.

Warmly,
Jean

On Thu, Apr 8, 2010 at 7:47 AM, <open-sustainabili...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

Group: http://groups.google.com/group/open-sustainability-network/topics

Jean Russell
312.725.2171
nurture.biz

"Act always as if the future of the universe depended on what you did, while laughing at yourself for thinking that whatever you do makes any difference." -- Buddha

paul horan

Apr 21, 2010, 1:37:53 AM4/21/10
to open-sustaina...@googlegroups.com

Jean, you're most welcome.

Lonnie and Chris, thanks for your contributions to "Thrivability"!

Might any of you good folks on this here OSN emailing-list care to enjoy some more good conversation and see where/how it just might evolve?

For starters, I'd love to learn more about books and other stuff that y'all find especially valuable, insightful, worth sharing, etc.

Earlier today, I just finished reading Jaron Lanier's book "You Are Not A Gadget" and totally love his emphasis on consciousness and the creative/innovative impulses that course through all of us as real, live, individual human life forms. The second half of this book didn't quite meet my expectations.

Over the past several months I've also enjoyed Stewart Brand's "Whole Earth Discipline" as well Paul & Anne Ehrlich's "The Dominant Animal". My favorite part of Brand's book was actually a side reference to the manner in which the Long Now Foundation hosts public debates = each participant self selects to articulate their debating partner's views in public and to their partner's satisfaction in order for the debate's process to evolve and succeed. The Ehrlichs' focus on human cultural evolution is also quite realistically hopeful.

For further collaborative conversation opportunities, I'd also love to introduce y'all to my imaginary friend named "Stymie Entropy" who'll be born seven generations from now. He wants to thank each of you enthused by the prospect of designing gifts for future generations and encourages all of us to consider the possibility that "we've already made it" just by virtue of the fact that we're here now and participating in life's evolution on Earth.

Here's a li'l sumpthin' sumpthin' Stymie inspired me to produce a few years ago (it's a less-than-a-minute public service announcement slideshow w/ some cool music which I trust y'all may enjoy : )

http://yesss.blip.tv/file/172230/

Ciao for now,

paul

Chris Watkins

Apr 22, 2010, 12:11:50 AM4/22/10
to open-sustaina...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Paul,

On Wed, Apr 21, 2010 at 15:37, paul horan <paul...@gmail.com> wrote:

For starters, I'd love to learn more about books and other stuff that y'all find especially valuable, insightful, worth sharing, etc.

I actually just blogged this - Freakonomics and SuperFreakonomics - about some writing from a different angle, but something really good to offer. I love the willingness to do serious analysis, and to take incentives seriously.

--
Chris Watkins

Appropedia.org - Sharing knowledge to build rich, sustainable lives.

blogs.appropedia.org
community.livejournal.com/appropedia
identi.ca/appropedia
twitter.com/appropedia

Steffany Boldrini

Apr 22, 2010, 1:55:34 PM4/22/10
to open-sustaina...@googlegroups.com
Dear OSN group,

Happy Earth Day!
I wanted to let you know that today I announced at EcoBold.com that we'll be planting One Million trees if we can get One Million subscribers for green coupons!

Here's the press release http://www.prweb.com/releases/2010/04/prweb3910064.htm

Please please please help us spread the word, we absolutely need to get the public to know that there are better choices for products, products that are sustainable and healthier for our bodies, we can't have our planet and our health depleted by toxic products anymore! I will do all I can to get the best deals so that these products are affordable and so that we can support the small companies that are making them.

Let's show them that we can, together, make a difference!

Steffany
--
www.ecobold.com
www.twitter.com/ecobold

paul horan

Apr 24, 2010, 2:11:51 AM4/24/10
to open-sustaina...@googlegroups.com

Chris,

Since you mentioned "incentives", I've found the subject fascinating ...

Planning to request SuperFreakonomics from library tomorrow. Liked Levitt & Bunder's earlier Freakonomics; even though I felt they'd just skimmed the surface by the time I'd finished, I still appreciate their willingness/ability to view/study data from kinda like a sideways angle. After reading their current super-freak version, I'll get back atcya and we can converse further.

In the meantime, let's kindly consider entertaining ourselves with some sideways views or even upside down and backwards glimpses with respect for the subject of incentives and how it's been conventionally  framed.

F'rinstance, what's way different than an incentive? an outcentive? a pay it forward? a gift? human kindness' magic?

If traditional economic views of incentives focus primarily on our natural extrinsic needs, perhaps a more rigorous appreciation for outcentives just might help us address our just-as-natural intrinsic needs (or at least some more of our full humanity's intrinsic needs get better met : )

Just wondering,

paul

Christina Page

Apr 26, 2010, 9:50:34 AM4/26/10
to open-sustaina...@googlegroups.com

Don’t forget feebates = incentives in both directions which should (in theory) pay for themselves. Subsidize the behavior you want via fees from the behavior you don’t want.

paul horan

May 3, 2010, 11:28:20 PM5/3/10
to open-sustaina...@googlegroups.com

Aaahh, the incidence of coincidence once again ...

http://www.ideachampions.com/weblogs/archives/2010/04/_for_everyone_o.shtml#comments

Chris, You may be glad to know that your suggestion/gift produced/revealed another connection ... my sister-in-law works in public health and one of the hospital doctors mentioned toward the end of SuperFreakonomics, has probably met her professionally.

Anyhow, I agree with you that the authors' take on incentives, etc. is thought provoking and hopefully can prompt some really good thoughts among folks in general. Nonetheless, they're still merely scratching the surface of our species' unsustainable "economics" memes until they start engaging in similar sideways critical thinking about our irrational behaviors that are simply misguided by the general acceptance of "scarcity" as an unconscious organizing principle.

One of the main reasons I love the whole work that you and Lonny helped Jean produce via Thrivability, is because "abundance" is given at least equal credibility as "scarcity".

Ciao for now,

paul

P. S. = you've also reminded me that I still need to finish reading Beinhocker's The Origin of Wealth (only about 50 pages to go and I put it aside over a year ago : ) This author has a decent appreciation for emergent knowledges from where subjects like biological & cultural evolution, complex adaptive systems, economics & commerce, etc., overlap.

P. P. S. = the fun work of two folks I met via Dot Earth may also have some relevance here.

George informed me about "biophysical economics":

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermoeconomics

and

Elizabeth (who I met face to face @ Bioneers a year and a half ago during the same weekend I met y'all  @ SF State's OSN camp) sent me this quote yesterday:

Here is the quote I hesitated to recite for fear of hacking it to death incorrectly. It's by Marianne Williamson. Nelson Mandela used it in one of his speeches, but it speaks quite loudly to what you referenced regarding our "power".

“Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us; it's in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others." Marianne Williamson

Chris Watkins

May 4, 2010, 12:06:27 AM5/4/10
to open-sustaina...@googlegroups.com
Thank you Paul.

On a tangent, one area where abundance is especially manifest is in knowledge. By sharing knowledge, we enrich the world, without losing any of the knowledge we have - indeed we generally gain knowledge in the process of sharing it.

That sounds a lot like sharing a smile.

paul horan

May 4, 2010, 12:33:58 AM5/4/10
to open-sustaina...@googlegroups.com