Pacing myself... Questions for us

1 view

Michael Maranda

Aug 15, 2010, 1:40:53 AM8/15/10
to open-sustainability-network
Friends -- I have been mulling over the responses to recent threads,
and coming up with more questions. If OSN is to be meaningful, we
need to establish a new baseline.

Let's start with something straight forward, and this may end up being
one of the shorter notes I have ever posted here. Feel free to say as
much or as little as you wish.

Why did you join or get involved with OSN? What prompted you?

Respectfully,

MM

PS - anyone willing to asynchronously (with chance of synchronicity)
brainstorm with me on wave? let me know!

Mark Roest

Aug 15, 2010, 2:16:53 AM8/15/10
to open-sustaina...@googlegroups.com
Hello Michael,

I started checking it out because I saw it because of subscribing to Andrius' networks (I think). I get these intuitive impulses and hunches and have learned to follow my nose with them.

It now looks like you're smack-dab where I want to be coming from.

Re the PS -- what is wave? I love to brainstorm on this set of topics, though I don't have huge amounts of time either.

Regards,

Mark

Mark Roest

Aug 15, 2010, 11:05:00 PM8/15/10
to open-sustaina...@googlegroups.com
Hello Michael,

Oh, right -- THAT wave!

Sorry!

My 'primitive' Powerbook will not support a browser that will support Google Wave; I tried anyway and it repeatedly told me to refresh my browser, which put me right back to another demand to refresh my browser. Hopefully when our renewable energy start-up gets funded I will be able to replace it with a faster computer.

Regards,

Mark

Michael Maranda

Aug 15, 2010, 11:06:37 PM8/15/10
to open-sustaina...@googlegroups.com
I'll try and get an instance of etherpad up asap instead.  Not sure how fast asap will be, but soon.  :)

MM

Mark Roest

Aug 15, 2010, 11:17:29 PM8/15/10
to open-sustaina...@googlegroups.com
Thank you!

I do have SubEthaEdit, if that helps.

Regards,

Mark

paul horan

Aug 15, 2010, 11:32:09 PM8/15/10
to open-sustaina...@googlegroups.com

Michael,

Respectfully responding to your invitation to engage in this enquiry = "Why did you join or get involved with OSN?  What prompted you?" = I must say, "Thank You!!!", first.

About 2 years ago, via La Marguerite's blog, I discovered plans for the OSN powwow coincided w/ my plans for a mini-holiday in the Bay Area. Since the entire Bioneers gathering was a bit beyond my budget, I popped into OSN's camp/unconference for the Saturday morning start and enjoyed participating thru til Sunday afternoon's end, signing onto this email list in the process.

My interest in networking with folks passionate about learning best practices for implementing more openness to liberate our species' capacity to evolve more sustainably/thrivably prompted (and still prompts : ) my participation in OSN.

Appreciatively,

paul

Chris Watkins

Aug 16, 2010, 5:23:21 AM8/16/10
to open-sustaina...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Michael, (and Mark and Paul for sharing your answers).

For me, I have been interested in finding ways of effectively collaborating on sustainability and a world without poverty since 1999, a time when I was looking for the ways to achieve real and strategic change.

In the meantime I got involved with Appropedia, as an expression of that vision, but I wanted us to be connected to the global movement, rather than just doing our thing. OSN looked like a way to bring people together, make connections and find ways to work together.

Chris

Chris Watkins

Appropedia.org - Sharing knowledge to build rich, sustainable lives.

blogs.appropedia.org
community.livejournal.com/appropedia
identi.ca/appropedia
twitter.com/appropedia

Mark Roest

Aug 16, 2010, 6:04:06 AM8/16/10
to open-sustaina...@googlegroups.com
The sages gather!!! Celebrate!!!

Regards,

Mark

Joshua Pearce

Aug 18, 2010, 12:02:04 PM8/18/10
to open-sustaina...@googlegroups.com
Hi Everyone,

I actually got involved in this when a white paper on Sustainapedia landed on my desk. I attached it here -- for those of you that have not seen it. I had always had respect for the open source development model -- and my own expertise in solar photovoltaics -- made Sustainapedia following the open sustainability network model really compelling for me.

Since then due to what I would best classify as political issues work directly in Sustainapedia stalled while other groups carried the torch. My research group has been trying to bring more and more of our work into the open sustainability space - primarily using Appropedia because of the functionality and the size of the site - and it was ready. Now we are actively doing research in open source appropriate technology - both from the tech side but also the actual innovation/collaboration/social side.

In my view for the OSN to push forward in the future - we really do need to get everyone together -- rowing in the same direction -- building the same central (fab 3?) in a way that each group/organization could still maintain their brand, credit etc. I don't really care who ends up being the lead on this -- but we need to decide - and start building together - rather than a bunch of good -but nonetheless separate - silos. I realize in the end - once we choose one it will be easy to port everything in - but right now we are not yet leveraging the full power of open source methodology the way the open source software community has done. We potentially are targeting a much larger audience.

Cheers,
Joshua

Joshua M. Pearce, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor
Department of Mechanical and Materials Engineering
Queen's University
60 Union Street
Kingston, Ontario
K7L 3N6 Canada
ph:613-533-3369
http://me.queensu.ca/people/pearce/
http://www.appropedia.org/QAS

Manuscript Editor: International Journal for Service Learning in Engineering
http://www.ijsle.org
Sustainapedia Launch Document v7.doc