Aquaponics and Geodesic Dome updates

jamie clarke

Feb 5, 2012, 10:55:17 AM2/5/12
to ose-e...@googlegroups.com, open-sou...@googlegroups.com, solar_fire
Hello team,

Its a snow day in sunny old england!

I made a video a few days ago showing all the tools required to make a prefabricated geodesic dome.
There are a few tips and hints to save yourself big money on the initial tooling;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWz5MI0Z8PY&list=UU9gycLxOvPQEF7_qBL8fAAg&index=2&feature=plcp

The next video shows that my first dome is strong enough to withstand a foot of snow, it also shows some of the progress inside. The dome made it through 70mph winds as well so i'm very pleased.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yXb2XSqCGQ&list=UU9gycLxOvPQEF7_qBL8fAAg&index=1&feature=plcp

Hope everyone projects are moving along. Remember, do not be afraid of moving slowly, only fear standing still.

Thanks everyone

Jamie

Jason Learned

Feb 5, 2012, 11:39:50 AM2/5/12
to open-sou...@googlegroups.com
Hello Jaime,

It is funny that you are making geodesic domes. The start up company I work with in Thailand is centred on building geodesic domes and aquaponics. Our domes are going to be made with Magnesium oxide SIP panels with some having a skeleton and others being bolt together panels. Our new aquaponics prototypes are mostly vertical.

This is our website: http://www.ecobuiltsystems.com/

By the way a couple years ago I was looking at this site to make a good table saw, it has to be modified to allow cutting bevels but that is rather easy to change. I live in the Czech republic now and do not have my full shop that I have back in California. So after I get my shop room built I can start building my tools, but, this has to be done between trips to Thailand.

I kind of help off a bit after that guy laid into me about the Bourke engine. Ironically, I talked with a guy earlier that day who had a working version of the motor. He has worked on it all of his spare time since he was 18 and he is now in his late 60's. The things he and his partner had to do to get the motor to work were mind-boggling, but it works and creates more power per unit of fuel than anything out on the market and they are now looking for a generator that will work at high RPM's-- it has to spin at a minimum of 6500 and the higher the RPM's the higher the horsepower. Really a cool machine but I was not going to get into a pissing contest with an engineer. If you know of any high RPM generators that do not need to be gear reduced, let me know.

Glad to see you are following your dreams.

Best regards,

Jason

Jason Learned

Feb 5, 2012, 11:50:02 AM2/5/12
to open-sou...@googlegroups.com
One more thing,

Our flood drain media beds are set to leave about 2-3 inches of water in the bottom so there is moisture if the pump fails. Whilst doing some maintenance I noticed that the small ghost shrimp we put in our raft beds have colonised the bottom of the media beds. Worms on the top shrimp on the bottom, they are keeping the system really clean. But we do have a solids collector and a degasser as well-- but the solids collector is a prototype and does not work so the shrimp are really helping out. Just thought you might be able to put it to use in your system at some point.

Jason

Jamie Clarke

Feb 5, 2012, 6:06:26 PM2/5/12
to open-sou...@googlegroups.com
Awesome thanks Jason, let me know if you ever need help in Thailand. I would love to see some video or help with vertical farming.

Sent from my iPhone