1st OSIPI newsletter (Feb 2019): Hello!

Laura Bell

Feb 26, 2019, 11:36:05 AM2/26/19
to open-source-initiative...@googlegroups.com
PastedGraphic-1.png

OSIPI newsletter: February 26, 2019

Dear colleagues,

Thank you for recording your interest to support the Open Source Initiative for Perfusion Imaging, or OSIPI, as it is now called. Steven and I have a few announcements we’d like to share with you about OSIPI’s progress and ways we all can connect at ISMRM this May.

SAVE THE DATE! Get together in Montreal 2019!
Thanks to the gracious offer of Ives Levesque of McGill University we can announce a first face-to-face meeting of OSIPI in Montreal on Friday, May 17th from 10:30 am - 12:45 pm. The meeting will be an opportunity to get in touch with other developers of perfusion open source software, and will aim to pinpoint the objectives of OSIPI and develop plans for progressing the initiative over the next year. As we get closer to the date, we will publish the agenda on the website (see below!). There will also be an opportunity to demo existing open source software, DROs, or data.
  • Registration: the meeting is free but please register here if you are planning to attend such that everyone can be properly accommodated for.
  • Presentations: please contact Laura Bell if you would like to provide a demo.
  • Meeting venue (https://goo.gl/maps/c8v74HyuQ8z): Cancer Centre, McGill University Health Centre, 1001 Decarie Blvd, Montreal, QC H4A 3J1
  • Local organizerIves Levesque, PhD, Assistant Professor, Medical Physics Unit and MUHC Department of Medical Physics, McGill University

OSIPI Executive Management Board (EMB):
We have formed an executive management board (EMB) comprised of people who indicated in the original survey an interest to help manage OSIPI. The EMB is meeting on a monthly basis and is composed of the following members for 2019:
  • Charlotte Debus, German Aerospace Center, Cologne, Germany (chair)
  • Andrey Fedorov, Brigham and Women’s Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA, USA (co-chair)
  • Amedeo Chiribiri, King’s College London, UK
  • Patricia Clement, Ghent University, Belgium
  • Kyrre Emblem, Oslo University Hospital, Norway
  • Michael Ingrisch, Ludwig-Maximilian University Munich, Germany
  • Simon Lévy, CRMBM, Faculty of Medicine, Aix-Marseille University, France.
  • Frank Zoellner, University of Heidelberg, Germany
  • Laura Bell, Barrow Neurological Institute, Phoenix, AZ, USA (ISMRM liaison)
  • Steven Sourbron, University of Leeds, UK (ISMRM Perfusion study group liaison)

OSIPI Member Initiated Symposium (MIS):
On behalf of the ISMRM Perfusion Study Group, Steven and I submitted a Member Initiative Symposium around OSIPI for ISMRM Montreal 2019. This was accepted by the AMPC and will run on Monday, May 13th from 1:45 - 3:45 pm. The aim of this symposium is to publicize OSIPI to the wider ISMRM membership, collect their ideas and suggestions on future directions, and inspire other members to contribute. The MIS will include some time to meet and discuss OSIPI informally, and also a formal program of shorter talks:
  • Andrey Fedorov: Introduction to OSIPI
  • Martin Uecker: Building Software for Reproducible Research: Lessons from the BART Project
  • Charlotte Debus: Welcome to the Jungle: Open-source software for DCE and DSC.
  • Henk-Jan Mutsaerts: Overview of existing perfusion freeware (ASL)
  • Daniel Barboriak: Best practices in DRO development
  • Daniel Barboriak: DRO’s for DCE-MRI -- Sources and Directions
  • Leah Henze Bancroft: An Anthropomorphic Digital Breast Phantom for Simulation and Analysis of MRI
  • Natenael Semmineh: A population-based DRO for optimizing DSC-MRI methods for clinical trials
  • Ina Kompan: DICOM Parametric Maps- a Common Language for Perfusion Software
  • Sign-me up session & meet the contributors

OSIPI online - watch this space!
In order to stay in touch, you all have been automatically added to a google group mailing list (
open-source-initiative...@googlegroups.com). Please share this with anyone else who is interested in joining! The EMB is also creating a webpage for OSIPI so that we can have one coherent way to advertise and communicate together. Although a bit bare bones at the moment, please stay tuned as we all make progress on this initiative together.

We all look forward to meeting you at ISMRM this year.

Best,
Laura and Steven