new install of tickets

Richard Condie

May 25, 2022, 11:13:42 PM5/25/22
to Open Source CAD
Hi Team

i am looking for suggestion on what would b the best operating system for windows and how to install

Many thanks
Richard
VK2AMB

Mark Taylor

May 26, 2022, 9:01:18 AM5/26/22
to open-so...@googlegroups.com
Richard,

Tickets is just a suite of web pages installed on a 'server' which can be either Windows, linux, Raspberry Pi, or most anything else that contains all the necessary elements. Basically, php, MySQL, a web server like Apache, IIS, or many others, as long as they contain all the connectors and libraries necessary to serve the pages that make up Tickets.

What platform you choose to install it on depends on how you intend to utilize it, and what your own abilities are with operating a web server on the chosen platform.  Me, I favor a linux platform in a server environment on a high capacity fiber network.  Some choose to install it on paid servers at web hosting services, although that presents a new set of challenges, like being at the mercy of other technicians that operate the server and choose what is installed and how it is configured.  Installing it on a shared server works when they can work with you to get all the elements installed and configured for Tickets to run. Others choose to install a LAMP stack on a windows machine, and that works well when you find a good, current LAMP stack.  If you have a decent amount of experience you can install php, Apache, and MySQL on a good windows box and probably avoid the aggravation of having installed an old LAMP stack and having to reinstall multiple times until you find a working combination.

Tickets is used by accessing the web pages with a browser. I have used browsers on Windows, linux, Pi, Ubuntu, FreeBSD, Apple, Iphones, tablets, and many others. Some work better than others.

But, all that is personal experience and my preferences.  Everyone here will relate their own experiences and choices.

Mark

Arnie Shore

May 26, 2022, 9:34:52 AM5/26/22
to Open Source CAD
Seconding Mark Taylor's response, let me only add that if you plan to implement a Windows-based server, then you may want to install  XAMPP,  a convenient package that gets you all of PHP, MySQL, Apache, and a control panel for these.  (Google for an XAMPP download.)

Now some of the more experienced people here prefer to install these items individually, but the convenience of using XAMPP makes it worth considering, at least initially, IMO.

AS