Buildings with no address

Ted Langdon

Jul 11, 2023, 10:39:48 AM7/11/23
to Open Source CAD
I am attempting to build out buildings for an outdoor site, and there are very few that have any kind of street address. Is there a way to build these by Lat/Long or from a KML file?

Richard Palm

Jul 11, 2023, 1:36:08 PM7/11/23
to Open Source CAD
I find an address close by to enter and then edit the location by moving the marker pin on the map.

Ted Langdon

Jul 16, 2023, 10:49:28 AM7/16/23
to Open Source CAD

Unfortunately, there's no addresses close by, so that won't work

Eric Osterberg

Jul 16, 2023, 11:32:04 AM7/16/23
to open-so...@googlegroups.com
I'd recommend contributing to the map sources. Here's a howto for Open Street Maps I found with a google search.

Arnie Shore

Jul 16, 2023, 12:33:03 PM7/16/23
to open-so...@googlegroups.com
Ted, per RP's response, an address doesn't need to be 'close by';  Whatever gets a location onto a map at any zoom will allow you to revise its position.

In addition, you might look at Config/About ...  nos. 28 and 37, although I haven't tried any KML stuff.

AS

ckil...@xmission.com

Jul 16, 2023, 2:02:42 PM7/16/23
to open-so...@googlegroups.com

I think this is being made more difficult than it needs to be.

Just use a geographical reference of some sort.

  • Degrees, minutes, seconds or some other form thereof
  • Universal Transverse Mercator (UTM)
  • Military Grid Reference System (MGRS)

UTM and MGRS are very easy to use and can be very precise (down to at least a meter)

As an aside, I prefer topographical maps rather than Open Street Maps (working on a map server for that).

Just my two cents.

Cheers!

Chuck…

WB6YOK

801.791.0760 (m)

image001.jpg

Ted Langdon

Jul 16, 2023, 3:23:40 PM7/16/23
to Open Source CAD
Arnie and Richard, that worked, I used the main gate address to get the location in, and then moved the pin as needed.