GSoC 2018: Multiple Robots in Simulation (Final Evaluation)

Akshat Khare

Aug 15, 2018, 12:00:21 PM8/15/18
to open-r...@googlegroups.com

Hi everyone,

I am Akshat Khare, and I am doing Google Summer of Code with Open Roberta Lab this year (2018).

I worked on the project: Multiple robots in simulation and completed it successfully by August 14, 2018.

Project: To add the feature of multiple simulations for EV3 Robot. The Open Roberta® Lab provides a simulation, where users can test their programs without a real robot. Previously, the simulation only supported one board. I extended it in such a way that it is now possible to simulate behaviour of two or more robots efficiently. This would be achieved by first simulating multiple obstacles and analysing the optimisation needed to support heavy computation. Further simulating multiple robots with comfortable UI was done. Project broadly involved design practices involved in working with JavaServer Pages, Jetty Framework, Asynchronous JavaScript and many other technologies used in the project.

I have been allotted Kostadin and Beate as my mentors. Under their able mentorship and support of Evgeniya and Stephan, I have been able to complete my task for the final evaluation which is of running multiple robots with added features.

I have created a gist having all the information about the project. Please see this link to know about the project and how I went out to complete it successfully. This video on YouTube and some more videos on my channel also act as a quick reference for my work.

My code got successfully merged in the Open Roberta Lab repository in multiple_robots_simulation branch. I must say that I have learnt so much in these three months working with Open Roberta Lab and learnt many things. I can definitely say that I am a far better programmer than I was before these three months. A hundred thanks to Open Roberta Lab for giving me this opportunity and helping me complete my project gracefully. I am determined to keep making contributions to the project and make the software better for everyone (both users and developers).