Sensor names in blocks are confusing

Lars Pelz

Sep 24, 2020, 11:47:51 AM9/24/20
to Open Roberta

Hi open-roberta devs,

while being a fan of open roberta for years, I think that the decision to include names in sensor / actuator blocks breaks is a major regression.
While obviously meant to improve flexibility, it
- breaks hundreds of programming examples in online and printed learning materials
- confuses first-time learners by adding meaningless abbreviations into otherwise intuitively understandable block labels
- introduces additional configuration steps

All of this has reduced acceptance of NEPO in my courses, not regarding age of learners (teachers & students).

To reduce complexity and make NEPO the easy-to-access tool it has been, I propose the introduction of a switch in the configuration to enable / disable the name display in all blocks. Which is disabled by default, of course.

What do you think? Is that an issue in your courses, too?

Greetings - Lars Pelz