VICTORY! U.S. Congress Includes $5M for Open Textbooks in FY18 Omnibus Bill

Nicole Allen

Mar 21, 2018, 9:50:27 PM3/21/18
to SPARC Libraries & OER Forum, OER Comms, OER Advocacy, cccoer-...@googlegroups.com, open-poli...@googlegroups.com
Dear OER community,

I’m thrilled to share some FANTASTIC news... After three weeks of tireless work by students, librarians and other members of the community, the Fiscal Year 2018 omnibus bill just unveiled by Congress includes $5 million to support an open textbook grant program. This will be the first time Congress has invested directly in OER as a college affordability measure, and is a HUGE victory both for the OER movement and the students we all work to benefit. Thanks to everyone who wrote, called, and tweeted to Congress — your efforts helped make this happen!

Read more about the victory from SPARC and U.S. PIRG here:
https://sparcopen.org/news/2018/open-textbooks-fy18/
https://uspirg.org/blogs/blog/usp/fy18-open-textbooks-program-appropriation-next-step-toward-textbook-affordability

Now that the bill has been introduced, we expect it to move quickly. The FY18 omnibus will fund the federal government until September 30th, and it must be passed before midnight Friday to avoid a government shutdown. We expect the bill—including $5 million for open textbooks—to proceed swiftly to a vote in the House and Senate in time to be signed into law before the deadline.

This victory is the result of nearly a decade of steadfast advocacy in support of open textbooks and OER at the federal level, and especially the support of our champions Senator Dick Durbin (IL) and Congressman Jared Polis (CO). It was also a group effort by the SPARC team particularly our Open Education Policy Manager Katie Steen, who led our efforts on Capitol Hill.

Messages to amplify:

Sample messages to share:
  • WE DID IT! Congress funds $5 million open textbook grant program in FY18 omnibus bill set to pass this week. #opentextbooksFY18 #OER @SPARC_NA https://sparcopen.org/news/2018/open-textbooks-fy18/
  • Big win! Congress includes $5M for open textbooks in FY18 spending bill to make college more affordable for students. #opentextbooksFY18 https://sparcopen.org/news/2018/open-textbooks-fy18/
  • Hey [mention senators + rep]! Thrilled to see $5M for open textbooks in FY18 omnibus to make college more affordable. Now that we have #opentextbooksFY18, we need your support for #opentextbooksFY19!

We’ll be sure to keep you posted as we learn more, but for tonight please join us in celebrating this incredible moment!

Cheers,
Nicole

Nicole Starr Allen
SPARC | Director of Open Education
21 Dupont Circle NW, Suite 800
Washington, DC 20036 USA
+1 (202) 750-1637

Nicole Allen

Mar 23, 2018, 2:05:52 PM3/23/18
to SPARC Libraries & OER Forum, OER Comms, OER Advocacy, cccoer-...@googlegroups.com, Open Policy Network
Dear all,

It's official!!!!! The FY18 omnibus containing the $5M for open textbooks was signed into law moments ago. This is truly a momentous milestone for the OER movement, and has the potential to have an enormous positive impact for students. For everyone working hard on your campus and in your community to make the world a better place through openness, this win is for you.

Thanks to everyone for your enthusiastic support for those involved in making this happen. It was a true team effort including SPARC, U.S. PIRG and dozens upon dozens of student groups and libraries who took action, both at home and on Capitol Hill.

We've updated some messages to share the news below, and expect some media coverage to start appearing shortly.
  • It's official! Congress funds $5M open textbook grant program in FY18 omnibus signed into law moments ago. #opentextbooksFY18 #OER
  • VICTORY! Congress funds $5M open textbook grant program to make college more affordable. #opentextbooksFY18
  • Hey [mention senators + rep]! Thrilled to see $5M for open textbooks in FY18 omnibus. Now that we have #opentextbooksFY18, we need your support for #opentextbooksFY19 to make college more affordable!
  • Thank you @SenatorDurbin for championing $5M for open textbooks in FY18 omnibus. Will make a big difference for students and families. #opentextbooksFY18

We will continue to keep everyone updated as the funding moves forward toward implementation (SPARC will be keeping track on our policy page here). But in in the meantime, we hope everyone takes a moment to celebrate this incredible moment — three cheers for open textbooks!

Nicole

Nicole Starr Allen
SPARC | Director of Open Education
21 Dupont Circle NW, Suite 800
Washington, DC 20036 USA
+1 (202) 750-1637

David Wiley

Mar 23, 2018, 6:40:27 PM3/23/18
to Nicole Allen, SPARC Libraries & OER Forum, OER Comms, OER Advocacy, cccoer-...@googlegroups.com, Open Policy Network
Nicole, this is such great news. Thanks to you, Katie, and others who have worked so long and hard to make this moment happen. Congratulations!! I tweeted earlier this morning but wanted to share my gratitude here, too.

David

* GMMB manages this group, and offers our expert recommendations on how best to respond to news stories when they arise. Look to these emails for our thoughts on how we as a field should respond when negative stories arise, and for sample tweets and language when it makes sense for the field to engage.

* If you hear from a reporter to talk about OER or see a news story about OER that causes concern, please send it to michell...@gmmb.com, allie...@gmmb.com and kelse...@gmmb.com.

* To access communications materials and resources, please visit the group's Google Drive: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B-Q9-FILEm9vRHVNUmYyZkpSaVU?usp=sharing.
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "OER Comms" group.

Cable Green

Mar 23, 2018, 7:03:10 PM3/23/18
to David Wiley, Nicole Allen, SPARC Libraries & OER Forum, OER Comms, OER Advocacy, CCCOER Advisory, Open Policy Network
+1   This was a multi-year team effort starting with the creation of multiple federal open licensing policies and cumulating in a highly effective advocacy campaign.

Well done!

Cable

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "OER Advocacy" group.
Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/oer-advocacy-coalition.

Cable Green, PhD
Director of Open Education

Creative Commons

Nicole Allen

Mar 23, 2018, 7:35:29 PM3/23/18
to Cable Green, David Wiley, SPARC Libraries & OER Forum, OER Comms, OER Advocacy, CCCOER Advisory, Open Policy Network
It was a true team effort indeed! Although I should acknowledge that the steadfast support of Senator Durbin and the OER community's work with Congress started more than a decade ago, and legislation to create an open textbook grant program has been introduced in every Congress since 2009. There's a suggested tweet thanking @SenatorDurbin below, and I encourage everyone to consider sending some love his way -- the Senator (and his amazing staff) deserve it!

Mary Burgess

Mar 26, 2018, 11:12:32 AM3/26/18
to nicole, SPARC Libraries & OER Forum, OER Comms, OER Advocacy, cccoer-advisory, Open Policy Network
SO thrilled for you guys and for the movement!!! Such incredible work from you SPARC, the incredible hard working and dedicated students and you amazing women Katy and Nicole! Future looks a little brighter today!!

Mary Burgess

Executive Director

Acknowledging that the land on which I work and live is the traditional, unceded territory  of the Lkwungen peoples.

BCcampus | connect.collaborate.innovate.
120-645 Fort Street | Victoria BC V8W1G2
T 250-516-8378
www.bccampus.ca

Twitter @maryeburgess

Skype mburgessbccampus