PegasusAstro NYX-101, NINA and PHD2 crashes while dithering

Dave Swenson

Jan 20, 2023, 11:23:06 AM1/20/23
to Open PHD Guiding
New mount, and am loving it, but at least two of us are experiencing crashes while guiding, seemingly related to dithering. Behavior is that after a dither, either a popup will appear saying "Unhandled Exception" (sometimes with PHD2 window still up but dead), or PHD2 is gone altogether.

Suspicion is with the PegasusAstro driver, but would love any help here  (while also working with PA).

When crashed, the logs seem to consistently end at an "Enqueuing Expose request".

bw_m...@earthlink.net

Jan 20, 2023, 12:10:13 PM1/20/23
to open-phd...@googlegroups.com

Yes, the problem is with the mount driver.  It is reporting guide speeds in the wrong units so it doesn’t comply with the ASCOM standard.  The guide speeds must be reported as degrees/sec, and the values being returned by your mount driver are 1800.  In the version of PHD2 you’re running, this causes a problem with the PPEC algorithm.  In PHD2 2.6.11dev3, we protect against this sort of thing but the PPEC algorithm won’t work well with bogus guide speeds.  You should upgrade to the latest dev release of PHD2 but you will also need to go back to Hysteresis for the RA guide algorithm until the PegasusAstro mount driver is fixed.

Good luck,

Bruce

Dave Swenson

Jan 20, 2023, 12:43:46 PM1/20/23
to Open PHD Guiding
Many thanks, Bruce. I've passed along your comments to Pegasus.