transferring PHD2 to new PC

pique...@gmail.com

Aug 4, 2022, 10:07:37 AM8/4/22
to Open PHD Guiding
Is it possible to get started with PHD2 on a new PC without having to go through the "first light" process seen when using the software for the very first time? After installing PHD2 on my new laptop I copied the PHD2 subfolder from the Documents folder of the old laptop to the new one. But still, the "first light" message appears when I launch PHD2 on the new device. Can I copy enough files to "fool" the software into treating me as if I am using my old laptop?

Jean

bw_m...@earthlink.net

Aug 4, 2022, 11:01:39 AM8/4/22
to open-phd...@googlegroups.com

Hi Jean.  You need to transfer the configuration profiles which, on Windows, are stored in the Registry.  You can do that using the ‘export’ and ‘import’ options in the Connect Equipment dialog.  You reach them by clicking on the ‘Manage Profiles’ button in that Window – more information is in the manual.  You should probably take the opportunity to rebuild the dark and bad pix-map libraries on the new system but those files can also be transferred.  They reside in a Windows-managed location: Users\<you>\AppData\Local\phd2\darks_defects.  The “first-light” prompt is shown when there are no configured profiles.

Regards,

Bruce

pique...@gmail.com

Aug 4, 2022, 12:24:51 PM8/4/22
to Open PHD Guiding
Hi Bruce,

Thanks. That seems to have worked perfectly, although I'll have to wait until I am out under the stars to be sure.

In the meantime, if I may make a suggestion, it would make moving to  a new laptop more convenient if the profiles and darks-defects data were all kept in a single folder. Is there a good reason it isn't done that way?

Jean

bw_m...@earthlink.net

Aug 4, 2022, 1:02:32 PM8/4/22
to open-phd...@googlegroups.com

There are many reasons we do it this way including the fact that PHD2 is cross-platform and we rely on 3rd party software to store information in whatever locations the OS wants.  That is important from a permissions standpoint. Having everything in the file system is problematic because people find all sorts of creative ways to foul that up and we end up wasting a lot of time trying to unravel what they’ve done.